What It Really Means to Be a Broke College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Disclaimer: Please read with caution.  This article is meant to be a funny satire.  The opinions expressed in this article do not reflect the authors’ or Her Campus BC’s feelings towards or positions on any of the topics covered below. Thank you for your understanding.

We all say we are “broke college students,” but are we really? What exactly do we qualify as “broke” and why is it that all of our friends are broke but can afford alcohol every weekend? Sometimes we really are down to our last penny but other times, it’s just an excuse. So what do we really mean by being a broke college student?

Situation: Your friends want to go to the bars, but you’re “broke.”

Explanation: A bunch of sweaty drunk people trying to snag a hook up? You’d much rather just sit at home and watch Netflix while drinking Franzia.

Situation: You really want new clothes, but you’re “broke.”

Explanation: You cannot find any way to justify paying for that shirt you saw at J. Crew… or those jeans.. or that vest… or those shoes… or that bag!!!

Situation: Your friends really want to go to a concert, but you’re “broke.”

Explanation: Uhm, who exactly is that band and why are they charging $40 for a ticket? You’d much rather save the money so that you can justify buying new clothes, $40 is $40!

Situation: Pinkberry? Chill? Chipotle? Fins? Roggies?

Explanation: You’re still an underclassman with a mandatory meal plan that you need to kill before the end of the semester.

Situation: You want something, but you’re broke.

Explanation: You actually have less than $20 in your bank account.

Being a college student gives you the perfect excuse to get out of things you don’t feel like doing, but when it comes down to it, we are more than willing to dish out the extra bucks every now and then.  

Alana is currently a junior at Boston College studying Communications and marketing. She is the Publicity director and events coordinator for Her Campus BC as well as being a part of the editorial team. 
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum