What to Do for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I bet this title made you glance at your computer screen again.  Spring break, already?!?!  It’s true that spring break is about four months away, but that doesn’t mean you should wait to make plans!  As a senior who is going to experience her last spring break (EVER), I want to make mine so unbelievably awesome that I’ll never forget it.  (Punta Cana, anyone?)  But tropical islands and all-inclusive resorts aren’t for everyone, so take a look at these other options for spring break.

Visit a friend

Spring break is a great opportunity to go home with a friend from BC or visit a friend from high school.  It also gives you the chance to experience a city you’ve never been to before, reconnect with old friends, and get a chance to spend time at another university.

Dressing up for boys bid night at Elon!

Go on a service trip

BC is known for their commitment to service.  One of the biggest service groups, Appalachia Volunteers, sends over 500 students to the Appalachian region each spring break for a week of service.  Placements are random, and they involve activities such as working for Habitat for Humanity or doing work around the community. 

My Appa group, Spring 2011

Another option is the Natchez Immersion Trip through the Lynch school, which travels to Mississippi and help out at the Holy Family Catholic School.  “We help to restore the school and spend a lot of time with the kids,” says Maureen DeGuisto, a senior in the Lynch school. “I don’t think I would have gone on Natchez my senior year if I hadn’t done it my sophomore year, but I’m so happy to be going again because I know I’ll have a great time.”

Go home

Spring break usually marks the middle of the semester, right around the time when students start to feel a little homesick.  So if you feel that way, go home!  Spend a whole week relaxing with your family and catching up on some sleep.

Stay at BC

A whole week to spend at BC with no classes?  Sounds awesome.  Use your spring break to catch up on work, spend time with your friends, or get out of the BC bubble and explore Boston!

The stereotypical spring break – a tropical getaway!

If you have some extra money lying around, spend it on a spring break in a tropical location.  There are many cheap options out there, from all-inclusive resorts to deals on airfare.  There are so many places to choose from, such as Punta Cana, Cancun, or Florida.  But book early!  Rates are bound to climb the longer you wait to book a trip. 

Spring break, MTV style

So there you have it: five great options for spring break!  It’s never too early to start planning, and you’ll have something to look forward to after a long Boston winter.  Have fun and be safe!

Photo Sources:

Stephen Sullivan

http://www.thevlyhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Spring-Break.jpg

Senior majoring in International Studies at BC