The West Coast is the Best Coast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

There’s a reason that singers like Katy Perry and The Beach Boys sing songs about California.  No, it’s not just because there are beaches everywhere you turn (although that helps make their point), but rather because California is located on the West Coast aka the Best Coast!

?

Here are the top 5 reasons why living on the West Coast is better than living anywhere else in the USA:

1.  Weather – There is no denying that watching the leaves change from green to gold every October is absolutely beautiful.  However, there is something very satisfying about living in a place where it’s constantly a balmy 75 degrees and the sun is always shining.  Granted, these wonderful temperatures are found more often in Southern California than in Northern California or Washington, but even the worst weather that plagues the more northern parts of the coast is better than the dreary, freezing cold winters that are found in other parts of the United States.

2.  Fast Food – Okay, okay, I admit there is good food basically anywhere in the United States, but there is no denying the mouthwatering taste of an In-N-Out Burger.  I’m not a fast food kind of girl, but these burgers and freshly cut fries – which you see being cut by hand in the back – are something that
nobody should ever miss.  For those of you who have never had an In-N-Out Burger, I am sorry.  You should probably make a trip to the West Coast just to have one (trust me, they are that good).  Putting In-N-Out aside, Diddy Reise in Westwood, California, has to have some of the best ice cream sandwiches in the nation.  The freshly baked cookies and 12 flavors of ice cream (at incredibly cheap prices), have people lining up out the door any time of day. 

3. Music Festivals – Whether you’re into techno, indie, classical, or screamo, there is a music festival for you.  One of the most well-known is Coachella, a three-day long music and arts festival held every year in Indio, California.  Another is Electric Daisy Carnival, an electric dance festival that will be held in Las Vegas this year.  Music festivals for every type of genre literally flood the West Coast from the spring into the fall.

4. Beaches – To me, there is nothing more relaxing than tanning by the water while listening to the waves crash and reading a book.  The laid-back atmosphere that basically consumes the majority of the West Coast makes it impossible not to have a great time at the beach.  The beaches have the nicest sand and the water is always warm, making any of the beaches found on the West Coast a great place to spend your time. 

5. Attractions – The East Coast is home to major cities like New York and Boston, but none of them have the same allure as Las Vegas.  Sure, Vegas is not technically on the coast, but it is definitely a big draw to coming out West (The Hangover anyone?).  Sin City is known for copious amounts of alcohol, non-stop parties, and much more.

Just a four-hour drive away from Vegas is Disneyland.  Granted, Florida has Disney World, but if you’re on the West Coast and want to get away for a quick weekend, Disneyland is just right around the corner.  If you’re fortunate enough to live in Southern California, Disneyland is literally right in your backyard, making it very easy for you to get your childhood fix.  But those attractions are only a small portion of the many great attractions that the West Coast has to offer.  There’s the Golden Gate Bridge and Height Ashbury Street in San Francisco, as well as the Space Needle and Pikes Fish Market in Seattle, to name a few.

The West Coast has many different appeals, and of course they are all up for debate (hence the whole East Coast vs. West Coast rivalry).  Since I was born and raised on the West Coast, there’s a part of it that remains with me regardless of how far away I am.  And now that I’ve told you all the wonderful things about the West Coast, maybe now all you BC Collegiettes™ will visit?

Photo Sources:
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb327/goneloving/california.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/cordell76/cIn-n-Out.jpg
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac203/sarvillo/IMG_0010.jpg
http://www.wsradio.com/internet-talk.cfm/radio/wsRadio-Las-Vegas.html

Lauren Ruvo is a sophomore at Boston College who is double majoring is Human Development and Communications. Lauren is originally from Las Vegas and doesn't think she will ever get used to the winters in Boston. Lauren writes for The Heights as well as the Boston College branch of Her Campus. In her free time, Lauren loves shopping, traveling, spending time with friends and family, spin class, and cooking. She is very excited about joining the Her Campus team!
Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.