True Life: I’m A Transfer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.
Deciding to transfer in college is one of the most difficult decisions people will make as young adults. While so many of your friends are posting about how they are “so in love” with their schools, you may be struggling to finish the dreaded Common Application once again. 

The moment when you get the email saying that your admission decision is ready, you may feel as though your heart is going to beat out of your chest. The oh-so-familiar feeling you may have encountered back when you were a high-school senior is back yet again. Reluctantly, you open it… you got in!

In any other circumstance, the acceptance would be the hardest part and only be followed by excitement. However, as a transfer it’s a bit different. You have to learn to cope with leaving your current school, leaving your the friends you have made, and starting over… again. Of course, this clean slate can be amazing, but it can also be a bit terrifying. You may find yourself panicking over the fact that by sophomore or junior year, everyone already has a friend groups in place, and you may feel like you wont find anywhere to “fit in”. (Don’t worry too much about this, it works out, I promise!)

Once you’ve gone through the always confusing and stressful process of choosing classes, evaluating credits, and confirming that you will still graduate on time, next comes move-in day. Despite the fact that you may be extremely nervous, you try to keep it together and seem as normal as possible when you meet your roommates. 

On the first day of classes, you try your best to fit in with the “non-freshmen”. When people ask what year you are, you proudly say “sophomore” or “junior” and pray that they’re not a freshman about to ask you for directions.

Eventually, you’ll find your way. You’ll find a great group of friends, other transfers or not, and they’ll accept you for you (even if you mispronounce all the building names and occasionally get lost). What is most important to remember is that transferring schools is a process. Put yourself out there, meet new people, and try new things. Before you know it, even you will forget you’re a “transfer”. 

Sources:
Olivia is a Political Science major with a passion for writing. She is from New Jersey but has found a recent love for Boston. In addition, she loves participating in Model UN.
Emily Boches is currently a student at Boston College, majoring in Communications with a minor in Philosophy. She is also hoping to become a Veterinarian in the future. Emily is originally from Massachusetts, just 30 minutes outside of Boston. Her small city lies right on the coast where the beach is no more than 2 minutes away. She spends her free time getting addicted to shows on Netflix (it happens to the best of us), napping, and taking Buzzfeed quizzes.