True Life: I Gave Up Late Night for Lent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Candy.  Chocolate.  Junk Food.  Favorite foods.  Alcohol.  Smoking.  These are just a few of the things Catholics choose to “give up” for the 40 days of the Lenten season.  But, as a college student, I knew there was one thing that I could give up that would really challenge me, mentally and physically, if I gave it up: Late Night.

It happens every weekend.  After a night out with my friends, at about 1 or 2 am when the party is starting to die out, it will come over us: the desire for Late Night.  Fried mozzarella sticks, French fries, chicken fingers, pizza, and of course F’real milkshakes, how could one even try to resist the amazing event that is Late Night?  But do not be fooled, it truly is a curse and a blessing.  It is about as unhealthy as a meal can get but is so tempting on those late weekend nights.  But in the name of Lent and truly trying to stick to something this year, I have chosen to give it up.

Now that we’re this far into Lent, I am proud to say I have still kept my promise to myself.  Even though my stomach grumbles on these cold weekend nights, I resist the temptation to run into Lower and consume all the fried food available.  Calling it a struggle would be the definition of an understatement. I won’t lie.  It is difficult to see other people munching on their French fries as they sit in Lower and making jokes about how they are definitely “going to the Plex tomorrow to burn this off”.

Now don’t get me wrong.  I am far from a poor eater, but there is something about Late Night that really just draws us all in.  Maybe it’s the fact that it’s an outlet from the crazy week.  It’s that one time all week where we can just say “what the heck” and have food that we know isn’t good for us but still do it anyways.  It is our tiny act of rebellion and a stand against the workout and eating healthy craze that is Boston College.  All week, girls work out like crazy at the Plex, limit their lunches to Chobani and a banana, and keep themselves in perfect shape.  But we all need a break.  After awhile, it gets old.  That’s where Late Night kicks in as it breaks up the pattern and gives up something to look forward to. Talk about a no-judgment zone.

After thinking about all of this, I can’t help but wish I gave up something a bit easier, but I know that this is the exact point of Lent: to give up something meaningful and difficult.  It may seem silly to give up something as superficial as a weekend meal but to me, it is significant.  So far, so good, and even have managed to feel better after cutting out Late Night from my life.  Maybe I’ll make this a permanent thing… on the other hand, maybe not!

Photo Source:

http://www.sobernation.com/wp-…

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.