True Life: I Don’t Eat Fruit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

True Life: I don’t eat fruit. No, I’m not allergic. Yes, I simply willingly choose not to eat it. Cue baffled look and judgment from every person I’ve encountered in my life.

Typical conversation:

Every person ever: You don’t eat fruit?!

Me: No.

Confused person: Any fruit at all?!

Me: Nope.

Disturbed person: But… but… but not even watermelon in the summer?

Me: I SAID NO.

I wasn’t always this way. I have vague memories of eating bananas and raisins (they come from grapes…) as a pre-schooler, but at some point everything changed. Now some fruit, like apples and grapes, completely gross me out, while others I am just apathetic towards. Pineapples, oranges, strawberries, understand one thing: I don’t hate you guys. I just prefer to spend my time eating other things.

I genuinely want to like fruit. I want to go apple picking and eat the apples right off the trees, and I want to have my way with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries like all the other kids. They just don’t do anything for me (except perhaps cover a major food group I should be consuming). I swear my parents will be able die happy the day I voluntarily eat a piece of fruit. They have bribed me countless times to try every variety and can often be heard saying, “Wait, Alex I don’t think you’ve tried kumquat yet – this might be the one!”

My interesting circumvention of fruit is well known by now. My friends know not to ask me to grab them a banana or apple in Lower (I always pick “the worst one!”… they all look the same). I even went dressed as a banana for Halloween this year – take that, haters! I’m hoping someday I will find my fruit-soulmate, but until then I will have to keep living life the best I can without it: by eating inordinate amounts of broccoli and hoping for the best.

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.