Top 5 Moves for a Full-Body Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Sometimes doing bicep curls while standing there scanning the gym for hot guys just doesn’t cut it. For us BC girls, we like killing two birds with one stone, or getting toned with one move! Here are some of the best moves that work your whole body at once—even in your dorm when the Plex seems unbearable.

1. Burpees

Jump up as high as possible, then bend down and kick your legs out so you’re in a push-up position. Bring your chest to the ground, bending at the elbows, and keep that booty in the air. Jump your legs back to your hands, and stand back up—that’s one!

This move works: EVERYTHING–butt, shoulders, core, cardio

2. Mountain climbers

Begin in an upright push-up position. Bring your right leg to your chest. Extend it back straight out to the ground. Repeat with your left leg. The faster the speed, the better the results!

This move works: core and lower back, shoulders, cardio.

[pagebreak]

3. Power Jills (Jacks)

Everyone knows the typical jumping jack, but the power jills “jack” it up a notch…(I’m so punny.) Start with your feet together and your hands by your hips. While raising your hands over your head (like a normal jumping jack), jump and kick your feet out to just wider than shoulder-width apart. Squat down. As you reach the bottom of your squat, your hands should touch over your head. Jump back into the starting position.

This move works: Butt, hamstrings, shoulders, core, and of course, cardio.

4. Spider pushups

Begin in push-up position… again. Bring your chest as close to the ground as possible. While you are lowering yourself, bring your right knee to the outside of your right elbow. Your knee should get as close to the elbow while you are at the lowest point in the push-up. Straighten the elbows and extend the leg back into starting position. Repeat with left side.

This move works: core, especially the obliques, chest, shoulders, triceps and biceps, and hamstrings/quads.

5. Jump Squats

Start with your feet shoulder-width apart. Bring your booty down so it’s parallel to the floor. From this position, jump up as high as possible. Return to starting position.

This move works: butt, quads, core, and again, cardio.

If you’re dying to do more of these moves, or get your rear into gear, be sure to check out the free workout classes BC offers at the Plex like Crossfit (personal favorite), BC-X, and HIIT and Core!

Born and raised in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, Kelly is a Senior at Boston College studying Communications and Marketing. She loves the fashion and beauty industries. She's had lots of experience with women and their tastes, given her all-girls high school background. At BC, she's involved in Strong Women Strong Girls, Student Admissions Program, and is an account management intern for Hill Holliday . When she catches a break, Kelly spends an obscene amount of time on Buzzfeed, rewatching Breaking Bad on Netflix, and attempting to workout.
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum