Tips on the Best Christmas Dorm Room Decorations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The magic of Christmas is finally upon us and it is time to celebrate. In order to celebrate this Christmas season, many take to decorating their homes; some hang lights, others buy nutcrackers, and most put up a Christmas tree. But, as college students, we often miss out on these holiday decorating traditions because we are away from home. Therefore, it is important to bring these holiday traditions to our home away from home by decorating our dorm rooms.

My roommate and I did just that. It is important to note that both of us are obsessed with Christmas and look forward to this season all year long. So, as soon as we were back from Thanksgiving break, we immediately went to Target to splurge on Christmas decorations. We may have gone a little overboard and spent much more than we had originally intended, but it was worth it because immediately upon entering our room one is consumed by the magic of Christmas. Based on our experience shopping, here are some tips to keep in mind when going shopping.

Hit Up the Dollar Section First

Most Targets have a section near the entrance of the store that is dedicated to items that are cheap – often only a few dollars. It is here that my roommate and I began our journey. We were able to get cute stockings (for only $3!) and other little knick-knacks. Take advantage of the variety of Christmas décor and purchase items that fit both your own personality and the Christmas spirit. However, it is important to pay attention when shopping in this section because it adds up more quickly than one may think!

Check Coupons Carefully

As broke college students, checking coupons is a necessity. Especially this time of year when there are so many deals. My roommate and I were able to save $10 by using a coupon, which doesn’t seem like a lot, but it paid for Uber on the way back to campus! So take a glance at adds or the websites before going shopping.

Let There Be Lights!

Lights may be the most fun thing to put up in the room because there are so many ways to do it. You can buy white lights, blue lights, multicolored lights, twinkling lights, icicle lights, etc. Use this variety to your advantage! My roommate and I had so much fun choosing a variety of lights and putting them up all over our room. However, our only mistake we made on our shopping extravaganza was accidentally buying twinkling lights when we meant to buy solid lights. So read the labels carefully!

A Christmas Tree for All to See

The Christmas tree is what truly exudes Christmas in our room. For us, a little 3 ½ foot fake tree is what worked and was the only one that would fit into our room. However, even the smallest of trees can make you start to hum Christmas carols so it is crucial in creating the best Christmas atmosphere. Despite the fact that the tree may be the most important part, it can also quickly become the most expensive for one reason: ornaments. Being away from home means all my ornaments that my family has collected and made over the years are a thousand miles away. Purchasing ornaments quickly added up so my best advice would be to look for a package of bulk ornaments.

Door Décor

Door Decorations are the best because other people besides you and your roommates are able to feel the Christmas spirit through your decorations. There are lots of different ways to decorate the door. Ideas include hanging stockings, wrapping the door in wrapping paper, and hanging a wreath. Get creative! It is so enjoyable to walk through the halls and see all the different kinds of decorations.

My roommate and I truly had so much fun decorating our room. Hopefully, these tips will help in your own personal Christmas shopping adventure!  

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/christmas-lights-bedroom/

ttp://whmusictherapy.com/2011/07/target-dollar-section-hidden-goldmine/http://leader-call.com/2015/04/10/thieves-force-ll-c-to-cease-coupons-in-racks/

http://gcan.net/very-good-christmas-dorm-decorations.html

Hi, I'm Fallon! I'm a senior at Boston College and this year's BC campus correspondent. I am a communications major and marketing minor and I am originally from St. Paul, Minnesota. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with friends, catching up on Netflix, and exploring Boston!
Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.