They Don’t Do It Like My Clique: A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

On Friday, January 27, 2017, Boston College’s own Synergy Hip Hop Dance Company presented their showcase to Boston College community bringing life, energy, and lots of Queen Bey vibes to the audience. From the moment I entered Robsham, the audience’s eagerness was palpable. Everyone was chatting away excited for live entertainment on a Friday night. The stage lights came on and the crowd was roaring.

Synergy’s theme was centered around the BC experience, something relatable to everyone at BC. The show incorporated their guest dance teams into their skit making the dance transitions smooth and interesting for the audience. Their first guest was PATU, the African Dance Team. Their dance involved many impressive high jumps with lots of hip movement. Their next guest was F.I.S.T.S. whose step routine was incorporated through a skit about a Walsh room check. In collaboration with Dance Ensemble, Synergy makes a Tinder reference with their dance titled, “Swipe Right.” For guys looking for love, Synergy parodied an attempt for love with their dance with Dance Ensemble. We were then brought to auditions for none other than Synergy. The immense pressure surrounding auditions in the fall was well represented when DOBC came out in their black uniforms with numbers plastered on them.

Throughout Synergy’s show, their formations and synchronization were impressive. Each dance was filled with emotion and kept the audience yearning to see what’s next. Towards the end of their show, they presented a video where the members stated what Synergy meant to them. This video was touching and made the audience feel as if they were a part of the #SYNFAM watching their heartfelt video. Their finale piece was reminiscent of a breath of fresh air. All the members were on stage performing a refreshing and simple routine which echoed sentiments from their video.

The show united dance and comedy with diversity and unity. Synergy’s show was a testament to BC’s culture through dance. The variety of dance styles presented range African Dance, to hip-hop, to ballet, to contemporary styles. Their show was unforgettable and we look forward to seeing them at Showdown in March!

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/SynergyHipHop/photos/gm.1833971466872237/155964…

Vanessa is a senior at Boston College studying Economics and Communications. She is proud to be the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Boston College!        
Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.