That’s Right, I Said Wicked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Disclaimer: Please read with caution.  This article is meant to be a funny satire.  The opinions expressed in this article do not reflect the authors’ or Her Campus BC’s feelings towards or positions on any of the topics covered below. Thank you for your understanding.

For those who have an issue with the way Bostonians talk, this article is for you.   

To begin, I would like to remind you all that I have lived in the great state of Massachusetts for 19 years.  That is 19 years of venturing into Boston for family gatherings, birthday parties, sporting events, and fieldtrips.  That is 19 years of being immersed in the Boston culture amongst a strong, charismatic, group of people. To say the least I have completely fallen in love with the city, and have fully embraced the Bostonian way of life.  

With all of this being said, it will come by no surprise when I say that I have a Boston accent.  In addition, I use New England lingo and have never thought twice about it.  That is until I arrived to Boston College.  I had thought that coming to BC as a Mass resident would make me one of the “normal” accented people, but man was I wrong.  It only took about 2 hours on the very first day of school for someone to call me out on using the word “wicked.” I remember how they looked at me in terror as they claimed that the word wicked was “gross” and that they “just didn’t get what it meant.”   I rolled my eyes and said, “welcome to Boston,” thinking it would be the last time I heard about it.  Nope.  Since then, a countless number of people have commented on my use of certain words and my pronunciation of others, and I have simply had enough.

To those out of state students who have an issue with how I talk, I would like to kindly remind you that you choose to come to a school right next to the great city of Boston. You must always remember that this is my city and my home. So, I am not sorry that I call water fountains “bubblers” or sprinkles “jimmies.”  I won’t feel bad for pronouncing my AR’s as AH’s, or that use “wicked” as both an adjective and a noun.  If you want to live in Boston, you have to learn to talk like a Bostonian, or at least leave your comments at home.  

But besides that, you out of state people are awesome, and I welcome you to Boston!

Sources:

http://photos.skyline.com/uploads/block/floated_image_block_data/image/1…

http://49.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5tvciLIzX1rxevt4o1_500.gif

http://www.globalimmersions.com/bostoniswickedawesome_New.jpg

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.