Tasty Irish Treats for St. Patrick’s Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, so you’d better get cooking!  Ok, ok, I know what you’re thinking: is there really such a thing as Irish cuisine? 

Yes, there really is, and what better day to discover this than St. Patrick’s Day?  The Irish, as far as food goes, are known for their potatoes and corned beef and cabbage.  So let’s take March 17 to celebrate their the reputation. 

HC BC brings you the traditions that you’re grandmother can’t live without and some not-so-traditional recipes that will have you kissing the cook (Irish or not!).

Corned Beef and Cabbage
Okay, I had to put it in this article.  I personally ran from this dish when I was younger.  Now?  I probably would still run from it.  However, some like the editor of this article, LOVE IT!  So if you’re looking for a traditional Irish meal, this is it.  Made right, and with love, it can be the perfect way to celebrate the rich heritage of this holiday.

Sound good?  Try this recipe form Epicurious.com! 

Shepard’s Pie
Not a fan of Corned Beef and Cabbage?  Although originally an English dish, Shepherd’s pie is a hearty meal for any Irish occasion.  In a traditional pie, mashed potatoes usually coat a meaty filling. Peas and carrots are staple veggies in this dish. In true Irish tradition, some recipes may call for Guinness beer to create this gravy like filling…just let it reduce before eating!

Irish Soda Bread
My Grandmother makes a mean loaf of Irish Soda Bread.  Traditional Irish soda bread usually contains caraway seeds and raisins.  A delicious and nutritious morning meal or snack!  I personally like to toast a piece of Irish Soda Bread and then spread some jam on it.  Don’t worry about the carbs…just enjoy it!

Try this recipe from Simply Recipes! 

Potato Leek Soup
Especially as March comes roaring in like a lion, a cozy cup of Potato soup will warm you right up.  Some like to sprinkle some bacon or cheddar on this creamy soup for some extra flavor.  Potatoes have never been so yummy.

Try this recipe from Pinch My Salt!

Shamrock Cookies/Cake
All you need is a shamrock cookie cutter and your favorite cookie recipe.  Sharing some shamrock cookies with your friends is a nice way to say Happy St Patrick’s day and maybe even give them some good luck during midterms…
Check out this awesome recipe for “Green Velvet Cheesecake Shamrocks: 
http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2012/02/green-velvet-cheesecake-shamrocks/

Irish Trifle:
I admit it. I’m addicted to Pinterest.  However, one good thing has come out of this recent addiction: lots and lots of St. Patty’s Day dessert recipes.  Check out this one dessert that basically combines any Irish/green treat into one trifle: http://hoosierhomemade.com/st-patricks-day-desserts/  It’s a sure crowd pleaser and an easy one to make in a college dorm!

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.