The Stages of Grief When You Don’t Get an 8-man Pick Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Now that March 20th has past, and the hopes of many freshmen were crushed, the stages of grief associated with not getting the beloved 8-man are upon us. Dreams of common room parties, non-communal bathrooms, and living with all your friends no longer exist for the majority of freshmen. As we move on past the heartbreaking day of March 20th, many sad freshmen are moving through these stages of 8-man grief:

1. Shock. Silence.

2. Denial. Something definitely went wrong. They’re pranking us.

3. Anger. Who can you blame this on?

4. Resilience. We’re fighting the system.

5. Realization. You actually didn’t get a pick time.

6. Sadness. Time to drown your sorrows.

7. Acceptance.

8. Jokes. #CoRo2014TurnUp

9. Realization take two. You’ll still be with your best friends.

In the end, not getting an 8-man is not the end of the world. Although, it does feel like that… and much, much more. Being close to your friends no matter where you are is a great part of sophomore year, and you can always sleep on the couches of friends who were lucky enough to get a decent pick time. But the wound is still fresh, so if you are STILL celebrating getting an 8-man in the middle of the dining hall, watch out. 

Photo Sources:

http://Giphy.com

http://bc.edu/offices/reslife

Freshman at Boston College!
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."