Spring is here! This means that in addition to the wardrobe changes and seasonal colds, spring brings day-drinking back to BC’s campus! But that Rubi and Diet Coke really don’t cut it when you’re outside and the sun is shining instead of sitting around your common room table. So here are some ideas to bring your spring day-drinks up to par:
*Side note* These recipes are also a great way to spend your extra meal plan money on the random fruit sold in the dining halls now!
Strawberry Gin Smash
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 wedge of lime
2-3 fresh ripe strawberries, 2 sliced, reserve one for garnish
3 ounces gin
Splash of club soda
1. Combine the sugar and a squeeze of lime juice. Mix with the back of a spoon to dissolve the sugar.
2. Add the sliced strawberries and lightly muddle.
3. Fill the glass with ice and add the gin. Top with a splash of club soda and garnish with the last strawberry.
1 shot of vodka
3 shots of ginger ale
1/2 of a lemon
1. Mix a shot of vodka, three shots of ginger ale, and the juice of half a lemon
The Blueberry Rum Smash
Fresh (or frozen) blueberries
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice
2 ounces rum
1. Cover the bottom of a glass with blueberries.
2. Add the brown sugar and lemon juice. Muddle with the back of a spoon until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Fill the glass with crushed ice and then add the rum. Top with ginger ale and stir.
Green Tea Mojito
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
4 large mint leaves
2 teaspoons sugar
Approx. 1/2 cup brewed green tea, chilled
1 ounce white rum
1. Mix the lime juice, mint, and sugar together in a glass.
2. Add ice until glass is about 3/4 full and then pour in the rum and green tea. Stir thoroughly.