Spring Break is Better in the Mountains

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

More often than not, you hear about people traveling to the beach for spring break, whether its Florida, Mexico or the Caribbean. By March, most people are tired of the bitter cold and snowy conditions, especially if you live in the northeast or the north US in states like Wisconsin and Minnesota. Therefore, It’s no surprise that people choose to travel to the beach for Spring Break: the beach is warm and you can pick up a nice tan after a long winter. However, I’m here to tell you that the mountains are the way to go. If you have the opportunity to travel for spring break, you should 100% go to the mountains of Canada, Utah, Colorado, Montana, or Wyoming. Here are 3 reasons why the mountains offer a better break than the beach:

1. Skiing/Snowboarding in beautiful locations w/ friends and family

Traveling to the mountains for spring break is an excellent opportunity to take some time off and go skiing with friend and family. Spring conditions for skiing and snowboarding are super unique. Out west, the snow is still amazing, but it’s not nearly as cold as it would be if you went in December and January. In fact, it gets warm enough that you will often catch people skiing shirtless or with their jackets wrapped around their waists. Spring skiing in the mountains is epic because you can still get some sun while having a blast on the slopes.

2. Mountain Food & Restaurants

One of the best parts of traveling to the mountains is amazing food. In addition to warm weather, one of the best ways to end a day on the slopes is by grabbing a hearty soup and a beer, or nonalcoholic beverage (if you’re underage like me) at the mountain base. Food on the mountain or in a mountain town just always seems to taste a little better than anywhere else. My recommendations for an apres-ski meal would have to be some sort of curry, chili, or soup, a large order to fries to share with the table, and some big cookies and candy bars. Eating after a long day of skiing or snowboarding in the mountains is the perfect time to laugh with friends and spent quality time with family while enjoying a good meal

3. Snowmobiling, tubing, & other snow activities

There is nothing more fun activities in the snow. One of the best ways to have fun with friends on break in the mountains is by bundling up and going tubing. After a couple hours of tubing or sledding down some hills, you can end the excursion with a nice cup of hot cocoa. Snowmobiling, while a little more pricey, is a great day-long activity to do with some friends. It’s a great way to see the beautiful nature of the mountains while also getting a little bit of an adrenaline rush on the snowmobiles.  

Traveling to the mountains for Spring Break is really the way to go. I mean… what could be better than amazing experiences surrounded by even more amazing views?!?!?!

Hi all :) I'm a member of Boston College's Class of 2021! I'm studying biology and environmental studies and hope to one day attend medical school. I love to write, whether it's current events articles, poetry, or short stories. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus BC, I'm a member of BC's Women's Club Soccer Team. I love to travel and spend time outdoors hiking, biking, horseback riding, running, or just experiencing nature. I have an adventurous personality and am always ready to try new things. LIfe is all about the experiences you have and the people you surround yourself with :)