So This Is What Being Single Feels Like?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Not all of us have guys falling for us…

And that is OK! At the end of the day, we will always have ourselves.

Personally, I feel the most empowered right after a breakup. I know what you’re thinking: you’ve got to be kidding me… It’s ridiculous, I know, but I also know it is ridiculous to wallow in the fact that someone doesn’t like you. An even more outlandish behavior is to strategize ways in which you can alter his opinions towards you. At the end of the day someone else’s emotions are not yours for the changing, but yours are. You can choose to be happy with yourself.

So they don’t like you? Okay! Thank them for their time. NOW, realize what time it is: you time. Yes, it is time for you to spend time with yourself. Think about all the time you spent with the other person. The dates, the phone calls, the constant flow of texts throughout the day. The single life allows you to spend your time doing things that benefit you. Don’t use this time to mope; instead, work towards creating the best version of yourself.

I am not saying that you should not try to win them back. You can, however, win your independent self back. For awhile you had someone to hold you up, but now you are left with yourself. Yes, it is always nice to have a partner in crime, but you learn a lot about yourself when you stand alone. You learn who you truly are!

Instead of looking into the eyes of someone else, you get to look at yourself again and do a little self-check. When you are in a relationship, you are constantly wondering how the other person is feeling so as to try to make them happy. When you are single, you finally get the sensation of your own feelings that you’ve unforunately repressed. Am I really happy with just myself? Do I like who I am? This is the time to examine yourself, to make changes, and to set goals.

There are plenty of people who will like you in your life, and the single life will come and go. So, no matter where you go, remember that you will always be left with YOU. Use the single stage as a chance to “re-learn” how to love yourself. And I promise, you’ll be better for it.

Photo Sources:

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/life/the-word-single/

Niloufar is a senior at Boston College, majoring in French and English. 
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.