This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Welcome to the Sexual Health blog, run by BCSSH!  Here’s the simple version of who we are: we’re a group of students who think that condoms are important.  For the longer version, see our website!

Ever been in a situation when someone said a word that everyone seemed to know except you?  Were you too embarrassed to ask what it meant for fear of looking stupid?  Ladies, we’ve all been there.  So BCSSH has put together a glossary just in case you ever have a sex-term (hot and) heavy conversation.  You’ll know exactly what you’re talking about after reading through this helpful list!

If a term you don’t know isn’t on this list, don’t be afraid to ask questions!  More often than not, other people don’t know either.  If you still have doubts, swing by the closest Safe Site to ask a BCSSH volunteer, check out our website for information, or email BCSSH! You should always contact your health services provider for the most accurate medical information.

Sex Anatomy (What You Weren’t Paying Attention to in Ninth Grade Bio… But Better!)

Clitoris:  Female source of pleasure.  Small pink nub of skin at the opening of the vulva, composed of nerve endings and highly sensitive to stimulation.  Though composed of the same erectile tissue as the penis, the clitoris contains 8,000 nerve endings, which is twice that of the penis, and more than is found anywhere else in either the male or female body.

Foreskin:  The bit of skin that covers the tip of an uncircumcised penis when not erect.  The skin moves back when the penis is erect.

G-spot:  If you find it, you will be adored.  (And trust us – it’s real.)  The g-spot is a patch of tissue in the front wall of the vagina.  It is very sensitive and responsive to stimulation.  Warning:  when stimulated, can give amazing orgasms; proceed accordingly.

Hymen:  A mucous membrane that stretches across the entrance of the vagina.  It is usually broken upon the first vaginal-penis intercourse but can also be broken by using tampons, masturbation, doing gymnastics, etc.

Perineum:  Also known as gooch, taint, grundle, and the landbridge (do you want more? we can keep going).  The perineum is the space located between the vagina/penis and the anus.

Prostate (Male G-Spot):  Part of the male anatomy that produces fluids for semen.  We hear if it’s stimulated, it gets happy.  So the next time you’re around one, check it out. Winky face.

Having Sex, Protection, Prevention… Oh My!

Abstinence:  The state of refraining from sexual activity.  You don’t have to be a virgin to be abstinent.  And before you judge, remember that abstinence is the only 100% accurate way to prevent pregnancy and STIs.

Anal Sex:  When the penis is inserted into the anus.  If you engage in anal sex, make sure to use extra lube because, well, the hole is smaller and drier.

“Bareback”:  Engaging in sexual intercourse without a condom.  In case it isn’t clear, we don’t recommend this.

Birth Control Pills:  Pills taken by women that contain hormones for preventing pregnancy.  They do not protect you against STIs or make you less likely to be infected by an STI, so they should always be combined with condom use.

Blue Balls:  We’re not going to bother to define this… but just know, if he says it, it doesn’t mean you have to have sex with him.  Tell him to have a glass of wine and get over it.

Circumcision:  A medical procedure to remove the foreskin of the penis.  For more information, see the Bible.

Diaphragm:  Used to insert spermicides into the vagina before having sex.  It must be left in place for at least 6 hours after having sex.

Dental Dam:  A square piece of latex that can be used for STI prevention during oral sex.  It also has some legitimate use in dentistry (thus the name), but who wants to talk about going to the dentist on a sex blog?  Unless you’re into that…

Emergency Contraception:  A higher dose of birth control pills to prevent pregnancy.  It works best when taken within 12 hours after having unprotected sex.  However, it is effective up to five days after unprotected sex.  You may hear it referred to by its brand name, “Plan B,” or the common moniker, “the morning-after pill.”  You can buy this at CVS without a prescription.

Female Condom:  Made of latex (or polyurethane) and used as a barrier contraceptive as well as protection against STIs.  Used for either vaginal or anal sex.  One end (the smaller ring) is inserted inside the vagina/anus as far as it can go, then the penis is guided into it.  Don’t use it with a male condom, and only use it once.

IUD (Intrauterine Device):  A T-shaped device placed in the uterus that helps prevent pregnancy.  It can contain copper or hormones to prevent sperm from joining with an egg.

Lubricant:  BCSSH’s favorite word, and with good reason!  It’s important to be properly lubricated during sex because too much friction causes condoms to break.  Therefore, lube is your friend.

Male Condom:  Made of latex (or polyurethane) and used as a barrier contraceptive as well as protection against STIs.  The tip should be held tightly to keep air bubbles out when unrolling the condom on an erect penis.  Leave space at the tip for ejaculation.  A condom should only be used once.  If you find yourself low on condoms, look for BCSSH members on Fridays at College Road or find your nearest Safe Site.  We’ll hook you up.

Oral Sex:  Mouth (lips, tongue, throat) to genital (vagina, penis, anus) contact. 
For how this applies to you, see our definition of clitoris.

Spermicides:  Must be placed inside the vagina before intercourse; prevents pregnancy by killing sperm.  Works best when used with a diaphragm or condom.

Spooning:  Leads to forking.  Or can happen after.  Whatever, it’s adorable.

Wet DreamWatch the video… You’re welcome for that blast from the past.

Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)

In short, there are a lot of them, and you don’t want them.  Check out this site for an overview.  Also, don’t hesitate to talk to your doctor about STIs.  Remember, you can even ask a BCSSH volunteer for more information.

Testing for STIs usually just involves providing a urine sample or getting blood drawn, but it depends on the specific STI for which you’re being tested.  Go to the BC Health Services Website for more information and to schedule an appointment.  No seriously.  Go.  It’s important.

Sex Toys

Stay tuned for an upcoming edition of the Sex Files in which we’ll have a full blog post on this topic. If you just can’t wait until then, feel free to explore all the possibilities at www.goodvibes.com!

Well there you have it, folks.  Hopefully this sheds some light on all those conversations about what goes on in the dark.  (We’re big on puns here, in case you couldn’t tell.)

As always, peace, love, and lube,

BC Students for Sexual Health

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.