The Sex Files #12: “DOWN THERE” Grooming: Choices and Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

To Shave, or Not to Shave?

“Should I shave down there?”  It’s a question many have asked themselves, whether or not they’re sexually active.  Shaving is a matter of personal hygiene, and “down there” is a rather intimate location – so it’s not exactly something most people feel comfortable asking their friends about for advice.  That’s where Sex Files comes in!  We’re here for you, so settle into your chair and get ready to go down under.  (Oh, the puns.)

Why shave?  Some enjoy the feel of smooth skin.  Others find that it keeps things cleaner, whether they’re going to the bathroom or on a particularly bad period.  Still, others do it because they’re sexually active, and they or their partner prefer the aesthetics of a fully groomed pubic area.

However, there are equally valid reasons not to shave.  For starters, shaving your legs is tricky, but when you start wielding that razor against one of the most sensitive parts of your body, it’s a whole other ball game.  Shaving can be a costly, time-consuming, and frustrating experience.  It can also hurt like hell if you do it wrong.

So, when you ask yourself, “Should I shave down there?” know that there is no right answer.  It’s a personal choice that no one should make for you, because you are the only person the decision affects.  Yes, that’s right – just you.  Not your partner, not your friends, but you.

Common Problems Faced by the Her Campus Girl and Possible Solutions

“My boyfriend says he thinks pubic hair on girls is gross!”  Well, your boyfriend can deal with it.  After all, pubic hair is natural.  It’s a fact of life.  It happens.  And if he’s trying to pressure you into changing something about yourself that’s completely normal against your wishes, then he’s probably not someone you want to keep around.  We get it: if your man watches porn, he’s probably used to shaved women.  However, porn stars are carefully groomed to meet unrealistic and sometimes even harmful beauty standards.  There’s absolutely nothing wrong with shaving, if it’s what you want to do, but don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself and say no if it’s not.  Your boyfriend can either accept it or take a sex-deprived hike.

“Well, okay, but…not to sound like a hypocrite or anything, but I do kind of want him to shave.”  There’s nothing wrong with wanting your boyfriend to be groomed, just like there’s nothing wrong with your boyfriend hoping you’ll do the same.  However, there’s a right way and a wrong way to broach the subject.

Just like it’s not cool for your boyfriend to say that pubic hair on girls is “gross,” it’s not cool for you to pressure him into shaving by suggesting that he’s got a nasty overgrown forest down there.  Consider saying something like, “Hey, I was thinking that maybe we could both start trimming a little, because oral sex is getting kind of, well, hairy.”  This way, shaving becomes something that both partners do out of consideration for each other, and not because natural body hair is “gross.”

Shaving 101

For those of you who are on the fence about the issue, one way to compromise is by trimming.  Trimming can entail anything from actual trimming (using scissors to shorten the length of your pubic hair – please be considerate and clean up after!) to more general maintenance, such as shaving around the edges like you might already do for swimsuit season.  This way, you can groom yourself without too much time or effort.

If you want to go all out, though, we salute you and your bravery.  First, however, there are some things you should know.  Most shaving guides recommend that you trim your pubic area before you begin; otherwise, your razor will hate you.  (And you don’t want sharp things to hate you.) 

Choose your weapon wisely!

On the topic of razors, choose your weapon with care.  Don’t use a cheap, disposable kind – pick something that has multiple blades and a flexible head.  Some women prefer razors that are typically marketed towards men.  Depending on your needs, you might, too.  Finally, wait about five to ten minutes in the shower before you begin.  That way, your skin will be softer and your hair follicles more relaxed.

Some additional/optional quick tips: avoid shaving while on your period, because the pubic area is more sensitive.  Use shaving cream, not soap.  Moisturize afterward with lotion.  Consider making some pubic hair designs.  No, seriously.

What’s Better, Shaving or Waxing?

Although shaving is a relatively simple (and painless) process that you don’t need a professional to do for you, it does have its drawbacks.  Your hair will start to grow back within a couple of days – sometimes even less, depending on how thick the hairs were to begin with – and, for the environmentalists out there, it wastes a lot of water.  Finally, all those razors and blades and shaving creams/lotions can, over time, create a pretty big hole in your wallet.

Fortunately, you have other options.  The one you might be most familiar with is waxing. Essentially, waxing consists of spreading hot wax on your pubic area, letting it dry, and then tearing it, and the hairs, off.  (Read more about the specifics here.)  Sound painful?  You betcha, especially if it’s your first time.  However, the results will last much longer, anywhere from three to six weeks.

Just like with shaving, you can choose how much pubic hair you want to remove at a time.  A regular bikini wax requires the least amount of commitment, only targeting the hairs that might pop out from under the edges of your bikini.  Then there’s the French bikini wax, which removes all the hair in front (often leaving a small line of hair, known colloquially as a “landing strip”).  Finally, there’s the mother of all bikini waxes: the Brazilian.  If you’re crossing your legs just thinking about it, we don’t blame you.  A Brazilian wax removes all the hair down there – not just in front, but in back, too.  Yikes.

Note:  if you’re comfortable enough to attempt waxing on your own, it might be worth investing in a waxing kit to save money.  (See here for some price comparisons.)  However, if you’ve never waxed before, or if you want a Brazilian and you aren’t a gymnast, it’s probably best to leave it to the professionals.

Sugaring is another form of waxing.

Waxing has two lesser-known cousins, sugaring and mooming.  Sugaring is similar to waxing, but with a sugar-based paste or gel instead of wax.  It’s generally considered less painful, and it can be done at home; it’s harder to find a spa or a salon that offers it, and they tend to charge more when they do.  (For more information, go here.)

Another alternative to waxing: mooming.

For those of you who want to go organic, or have been thinking about waxing or sugaring but aren’t quite ready for that level of intensity, “mooming” is the perfect alternative.  Moom hair removal uses a sugaring gel that’s been infused with chamomile, lemon juice, and tea tree oil.  It’s the least expensive option (multiple-use kits usually cost less than $20) and it’s done right at home.  It’s also the least painful!  However, in spite of the pros, there are a few cons: it might take a few tries to get used to the process, and the hair starts growing back after a week or so.  (For more information and customer reviews, go here.)

If you don’t like any of these choices, and you don’t want to shave at all, power to you!  Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.  At the end of the day, what you do with your pubic hair is your own decision.  Most people will never see it, anyway, so they’re just being haters.  Let them eat cake!

Peace, love, and lube,
BC Students for Sexual Health

Sources:
http://hairremoval.about.com/od/waxing/a/bikini-styles.htm

Photo Sources:
http://s2.folica.com/img/product/r/r8552/main-view/moom-sugaring-hair-removal-introductory-kit-278×278.jpg
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/287032139/women_s_razor.jpg
http://styletips101.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/sugaring.jpeg

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.