Rusted Revolution: Choosing the Right Accessories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Allow us to introduce ourselves:  Our names are Lucy McBride 
and Lesley Burr. We’re two bloggers with a love for fashion, among other things.  Our site, Rusted Revolution, began as a side project – a hobby through which we could channel our observations on fashion, music, travel, food, and the arts, sharing them with whomever cared to look. Since RR’s birth in early September 2010, a growing Internet following has encouraged us to provide our readers with consistent news, trends, and reflections in the vast realm that is pop culture.

As multi-tasking collegiettes™ who are always on the move, we usually don’t have the luxury of time to spend hours contemplating our outfit choices right down to every last accessory.  Often, we find ourselves throwing on whatever’s lying around, stealing a quick glance in the mirror to ensure that we look presentable, and dashing off to our next activity.

Here at RR, we firmly believe that jewelry can take an average look to the next level.  As two girls with a self-made jewelry line (which you can buy here), we’re lucky enough to have piles of pieces at our disposal.  While this can often be overwhelming,  we’re here to give you the low-down on which of our pieces are best for which occasions.

Class
Let’s face it:  we’re sleep-deprived, stressed, and we don’t have  the luxury of time to spend hours prepping for class.  That being said, we still want to look good!  The RR simple chain ear cuff is perfect for casual ponytails, adding a barely-there touch of intrigue to an outfit.  We’re also huge fans of the feather trend, which is refreshingly wearable in any setting.  The RR feather necklace and wrap bracelet look fabulous when layered, and the feather earrings add a subtle but interesting touch of bohemian chic.

Concert
Concerts are all about making a statement and drawing fashion inspiration from your favorite musical artists.  This is the perfect setting to rock edgier pieces that allow you to stand out from the crowd.  Keep things casual with the RR feather ear cuff, which hooks over your ear to give a temporary look of a feather hair extension.  Take things up a notch with some light hardware; the RR chain ‘vests’ or body ‘harnesses’ can be fastened over a tank, dress, or tee to create an interesting silhouette.  If you really want to make a statement, layer the RR ‘ribcage’ harness over a shredded t-shirt – just make sure to stay away from the mosh-pit.  RR’s ‘sleeve’ is ideal for slipping under a band tee for a rock ‘n’ roll vibe.

Club/Bar/Party
After a long week of all work and no play, we’re ready to hit the social scene looking fresh and fierce – especially when we know that cameras will be out!  Add some dimension to sexier, low-cut garments with chain accessories.  The RR ‘fringe back’ is perfect for a low-back dress or tank, and everyone at the party will be asking you to turn around.  Wearing something strapless or one-shouldered?  The RR ‘collar’ fastens around the neck and arm to give a beautiful, but edgy and unique look.  Lastly, our beloved leg piece, named the ‘garter,’ works wonderfully under skirts or dresses as an unexpectedly sexy accessory.

Business Casual
Just as in the time of the Crusades, chainmail is once again making a comeback in everyday wear, so don’t shy away!  Our lighter chain pieces are perfect for business casual settings such as interviews or meetings.  The RR ‘loop,’ though light and simple, highlights a simple neckline beautifully and looks lovely whether layered or on its own.  The chain link necklace and bracelet will have you looking polished and professional whether  you’re rocking a dress or a suit.

Wedding
Weddings are just another excuse to get all gussied up, but the key is to make an elegant fashion statement without overshadowing the bride.  The RR light overlapping chain necklace is an easy way to add some trendy bling to your neck while remaining classy and understated.  Our tassel earrings will add a subtle contrast of color to your hair and outfit, and look beautiful with an up-do.  The RR shoulder ‘harness’ certainly makes a high fashion statement, but remains feminine and elegant.

Family Dinner
Make a statement, impress that cute waiter, and still get Grandma’s approval in these pieces.  Just because your mom and dad might be dressed in something conservative and drab doesn’t mean you have to too.  The RR ‘crown‘ is the chicest thing since Blair Waldorf’s headbands, and in one, you’ll feel pretty as an Upper East Side princess.  Pair our heavy overlapping chain necklace (the edgier version of its more delicate sister mentioned in the Wedding category above) with any dressy top, dress, blazer, or sweater for a bold look.  The RR chain rings are also a perfect way to add a little interest to your outfit without overwhelming the more conservative family members.

Date Night
Enhancing your best features is key to looking good for a date.  RR’s fringe necklace plays with one of the trends-of-the-moment, and will go with any V neckline.  The RR ‘waterfall’ chain ear cuff looks pretty with a ponytail and draws attention to your neck and face.  Our long fringe chain earrings will elongate and slim your face, and blends in with long hair for a subtle shimmery effect.

Formal Dance
It can be stressful deciding on what dress to wear for a formal dance, but at least RR can help you with your accessories.  Our ‘double crown‘ is a subtle way to highlight your hair and face, but it’s a much chicer and low-key alternative to the tiara.  Wear your hair down in beachy waves with the RR ‘crown’ for a relaxed vibe. The RR shoulder ‘harness’ is the perfect thing to wear with anything sleeveless.  Our chain tassel earrings will spice up any simple dress.

You can find any of the above jewelry at our Rusted Revolution Etsy store.  A few of the items are brand new and will be up on the site this weekend, so check back in a few days.  You can also contact us directly at arustedrevolution@gmail.com for purchase inquiries.

In the words of Porky the Pig, “That’s all folks!”  We have had the most AMAZING experience collaborating with Her Campus BC this school year, and we’d like to extend a special thank you to Brittany Lewis and Kathryn Fox.

Can’t get enough of RR? Visit our blog for regularly updated posts.  Just because college is ending for us doesn’t mean Rusted Revolution will.  We’ve got more plans in the works and A LOT more in store for the BC campus and the real world!!

If you’re interested in getting involved with RR, we’re currently hiring more fashion, writing, marketing, design, and photography interns to add to the team.  If you think you’ve got what it takes, send your resume to arustedrevolution@gmail.com.

Lucy McBride is the co-founder and writer of Rusted Revolution, a fashion, music, and arts blog she maintains with Lesley Burr. Born and raised in Long Island, New York, Lucy developed an early eye for the arts which inspired her to relocate to a bigger city, where she attended Marymount School of New York in Manhattan. In 2007 Lucy enrolled in Boston College to pursue a French major and an International Studies Minor with a concentration in Global Cultural Studies. Lucy has since perfected her French language skills and gained a strong understanding of Italian. Through various courses in International Studies, she has developed a strong understanding of the cultural, literary, economic, and political undertones of places such as Rome, where she lived and studied for a spring semester. Between her travels through Eastern and Western Europe, Lucy studied Art History, Italian, Opera, and Photography in Rome. In 2007 and 2008, Lucy worked as a U.S. Beauty Marketing Intern for Avon Products, Inc. within their Wellness division; here, she played an active role in the formulation, design and promotion of Avon Wellness products, as well as served as a company correspondent. Since the fall of 2008, Lucy has worked as a Sales Associate for Free People Boston during the school year and Free People Roosevelt Field during winter and fall breaks. As a member of the Free People community, Lucy plays an integral part in sales, customer service, marketing, and visual design. She has achieved the title of “Top Selling Associate” several times. Lucy is passionate about style as an individual art form which encourages individuality, expression, and inspiration. Her guilty pleasures include watching reality television, red velvet cake, and updating her ridiculous large and cumbersome perfume collection.