This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

A Star is Born, starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga is the fourth remake of the original 1937 film of the same name. It was released on October 5th, and has raised critical acclaim. The film was produced and directed by Bradley Cooper. A Star is Born was his directorial debut, and he worked with a number of musicians in order to produce the soundtrack. The movie follows the story of Jackson Maine (Cooper), a veteran country singer who battles an alcohol and drug addiction. After one of his shows, he ends up in a drag bar, and sees a performance by Ally (Gaga), a waitress and singer. They talk all night, and he invites Ally to his next show. From there, she becomes a rising star in the music world. Her career blossoms, while his begins to fade. He struggles to deal with her rising fame, and with his addictions.

Before seeing A Star is Born, I was not the biggest Lady Gaga fan. I  listened to Poker Face and Judas in middle school, but I haven’t listened to much of her music since. After seeing the movie, I realized how much I have been missing out. She was absolutely amazing in this role. She has such a beautiful voice, and her acting made the movie seem very authentic. Whether you are a Gaga fan or not, you have to give her credit for a memorable performance as Ally.

Bradley Cooper also showed his versatility as an actor and musician. I expected his acting to be good, but I was unaware that he could actually sing. I normally hate when people talk during movies, but I just had to ask my mom if it was actually him performing, and she said it was. I confirmed this later and learned that he worked with a vocal coach to get his voice just right for the role. He was great, and sang with genuine emotion. I also loved his look in the film. He was very rugged, and his long hair and beard really worked.

Overall, A Star is Born is a must see in my eyes. I felt so many emotions ranging from being very proud of Ally and her accomplishments, to being extremely worried about Jackson Maine and his mental health. The movie was very emotional, and if you decide to see it, I can almost guarantee you will cry. I went with my parents over fall break, and even my dad cried. He and my mom also loved the movie, so it is something just about anyone will enjoy.

Sources:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/978211-four-a-star-is-born-cli…

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a21097119/a-star-is-born-20…

Allie is a junior concentrating in Finance and Marketing. She's always making new recipes and trying different vegan restaurants so she can post about them on her food Instagram: @sprout_n_about.