Rest in Peace: Shea Field

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.
Shea Field, formerly known as the tailgating spot of Boston College, tragically died on September 5, 2015, leaving behind thousands of alumni, students, and fans. Shea was beloved by all who visited. The field began its battle last fall when only those with wristbands could visit. However, that did not stop Shea from being the campus hotspot for every home football game. Tailgaters continued to battle lines and restrictions (even during the stormy weather of the triumphant USC game). In attempts to prevent this death, fake wristbands were adorned, fences were hopped, and the tailgates continued. 

However, on September 5, the crowded sea of maroon and gold tents filled with students and alumni ceased to exist. There was space on Shea to move and sit, a sight unheard of in past years. The younger, more youthful Shea no longer exists – the Shea that blasted music, was crowded with aisles of cars, smelled of hotdogs and hamburgers, and was filled with smoke from the grill. “Shea is bae,” will no longer be a proper Instagram caption. Instead, Shea is a graveyard on a baseball field, filled with only the lucky few ticket holders and their guests.

Shea left a lasting legacy. It brought BC together – eagles of the present, past, and future. It was the favorite tailgate spot of many. Food, friends, and drinks… Shea had it all.  You could always count on Shea to make game day the best day. In its day, Shea witnessed the countless stumbling Superfans, who may have indulged in a few too many shotguns. It welcomed new freshmen, never asking, “who do you know here?” Shea reminded alumni of their glory days, and watched the next generation of eagles playing catch, decked in maroon and gold. 

Shea’s successor, on Brighton Campus, is still young, but holds potential for the future. R.I.P. Shea, you will be missed. In lieu of flowers, please continue to tailgate and turn up in memoriam. 

Photo Sources:
Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.
Emily Boches is currently a student at Boston College, majoring in Communications with a minor in Philosophy. She is also hoping to become a Veterinarian in the future. Emily is originally from Massachusetts, just 30 minutes outside of Boston. Her small city lies right on the coast where the beach is no more than 2 minutes away. She spends her free time getting addicted to shows on Netflix (it happens to the best of us), napping, and taking Buzzfeed quizzes.