Races & Group Runs in Boston, Fall 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Need motivation to keep up with your summer fitness regimen once you have the distractions of school? Why not sign up for a race – there’s something for everyone in Boston this fall, whether you want a traditional 5K or half marathon or a themed run, or even guided tours to get in shape while exploring the city.

Traditional 5K Races

Mardi Gras Festival Run 5K
What: 5K race, scenic run along the Charles River
Where: Cambridge, MA
When: Thursday, September 13, at 6:30 pm
Fee: $27, includes post-race New Orleans-style meal

Coaches vs. Cancer 5K Classic
What: 5K run through Chestnut Hill and the BC campus. Joint production by the American Cancer Soceity and the National Association of Basketball Coaches.
Where: Chestnut Hill, MA
When: Saturday, September 15, 2012, at 10:00 am
Fee: $15 ahead of time, $20 day-of, includes tee-shirt for the first 300 participants to arrive. Also includes a meet-and-greet with the BC men’s basketball team

Bill’s Pizzeria 5K Road Race
What: A 5K road race right in Newton Centre sponsored by Bill’s Pizzeria and the Travis Roy Foundation for Spinal Cord Injuries. A post-race party includes pizza from Bill’s.
Where: Newton, MA
When: Sunday, October 28, 2012, at 9:00 am
Fee: $20

10Ks and similar length races

Women’s Health Run10Feed10 10K
What: 10K race in Boston as part of a Women’s Health series to end hunger. Participants are encouraged to personally raise $100 for the cause, and portions of the proceeds go to feeding the hungry.
Where: Boston, MA
When: Saturday, September 29, at 8:00 am
Fee: $40, includes donation of 10 meals to the local hungry, and a specialty FEED bag

Apple Harvest Ramble 10 miler and 5 miler
What: 5 and 10 mile runs through Nashoba Valley, seeing views of early fall foliage and the apple trees in their peak season
Where: Harvard, MA
When: Saturday, September 29th, at 9am
Fee: 10 miler: $25 beforehand, $30 after 9/15, 5 miler: $20 beforehand, $25 after 9/22, includes tee-shirt

Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women
What: A 10K through Back Bay and Cambridge to promote women’s health. Easy to get to from BC, with the start close to the Boylston and Arlington T-stops.
Where: Boston, MA
When: Monday, October 8, 2012 (Columbus Day) at 12:00 noon
Fee: $40 beforehand, $50 day-of

Half Marathons

Allstate Life Insurance Boston 13.1
What: Half Marathon in Boston
Where: Suffolk Downs, MA (by the Revere t-stop)
When: Sunday, September 16, 2012, runners get there at 7, race at 9am
Fee: $85 before 9/9, $100 before 9/12, includes medal for all finishers

Chilly Half Marathon
What: A half marathon you don’t have to travel far for. The race is right in Newton, and raises funds for the American Liver Foundation.
Where: Newton, MA
When: Sunday, November 11th, 2012, registration at 7:30 am
Fee: $45, includes post-race food, tee-shirt, and finisher medal

Not Your Average Runs

Freedom Trail Run
What: Not a race but a guided running tour of the Freedom Trail, with runners meeting at the Boston Common. All levels are welcome as this 5K course is run at a 9-10 min/mi pace but includes about 16 stops to explore the sites. Includes a ferry ride to return to Long Wharf.
Where: Boston, MA
When: Every Saturday and Sunday until November 11, meet at 8:15 am, run from 8:30-10:00 am, and the ferry lands at 10:30 at Long Wharf
Fee: $35, includes tee-shirt, ferry ride, and a drink

Thompson Island 4K Trail Run
What: A 4K run on Thompson Island, an Island off the coast of Boston known for its ropes course and wilderness skills programs. You take a ferry from Boston at 4:00, race from 5:00-6:00, and then there is a celebration until the ferry returns at 7:30. Since beer is included in the entry, all participants must be 21+.
Where: Boston, MA
When: Thursday, September 20
Fee: $40, includes ferry ride

Urban Dare Boston
What: A race in teams of two, like a 1-day Amazing Race. It takes 2-4 hours, usually covering 5-7 miles, and participants solve puzzles and unlock clues to move to the next location. It’s part race, part scavenger hunt, and part problem-solving adventure.
Where: Boston, MA
When: Saturday, September 29, 12:00 pm
Fee: $90 per 2-person team, includes tee-shirts

The Running Dead Zombie 5K
What: A 5K in Salem, MA, where runners aren’t just racing each other – they’re also trying to avoid the zombies who are dressed in costume and chasing them throughout the race. Runners wear flag football type belts, and zombies try to grab the flags. The goal: to finish with a fast time and also with flags in-tact.
Where: Salem, MA
When: Saturday, September 29th at 7:00 pm
Fee: $10

Devil’s Chase 6.66 Miler
What: Halloween race in Salem, MA, where runners are encouraged to wear Halloween costumes, with awards given out for the best outfits. Post-race activities include a reenactment of the Michael Jackson “Thriller” dance.
Where: Salem, MA
When: Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 8:00 am
Fee: $30 beforehand, includes tee-shirt for first 1500 registered runners

Go Ruck Challenge
What: Inspired by the training for Special Forces soldiers, this is a team challenge as opposed to a race. Tasks and running course are not published beforehand, and are at the discretion of the challenge leader, but usually covers 15-20 miles with 20 pounds of bricks in your bag, and takes 8-10 hours. Not for the faint of heart or the exercise newbies, but a great challenge for the prepared. There are training groups at CrossFit centers throughout Massachusetts.
Where: Boston, MA
When: Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:00 am (bring a flashlight)
Fee: $160. Goes to benefit the Green Beret Foundation

Photo Sources:
http://gcs-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/shared/images/deals/9505/10441/cancer1a.jpg
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/moxiepix/b2_13970.jpg
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQcFyqVZl_-x7WZA_ZFT8LMWDTiiIufLEALtaiXbLdiNUP1NUr5i4uR_MpRQ
http://jimrhoades.com/09/devilschase/images/091031-501.jpg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.