Quick and Healthy Meals for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

If you are reading this, you’re probably taking a break from studying for finals. Good for you; breaks are healthy. Finals week is stressful, but I don’t need to tell you that. It’s a time when most of us are stuck in the library or some study space flipping through the pages of our notes wondering why the heck we didn’t pay more attention in class. Finals are a time when minimal fun is had, at least for those of us who aren’t seniors. Finals are a time when we have to somehow fit in studying, taking exams, hanging out with our friends, and packing to go home.

We also have to eat during finals, an activity that some of us tend to forget to do, which I cannot understand for the life of me. When I’m hungry, I cannot deny my grumbling stomach. With all of the studying that must be done, food takes a backseat (well, for some of us). But eating is necessary to fuel our bodies and our minds. Walking into a test feeling famished is never fun. But it can be hard during finals to find time to make ourselves both healthy and filling meals. Who has time to make a well-rounded meal when studying is looming over our heads?

Her Campus BC is here to help. We’ve got some easy meals that are quick and convenient to make during finals time! So take a break from studying, head for your kitchen, and get to cooking!

Scramlet

Who needs Hillside when you’ve got your own kitchen? Crack and scramble two or three eggs in a bowl and pour them into a hot pan. Scramble them until they’re cooked through. Mix in ingredients like vegetables, beans, cheese, or a protein for added flavor and nutrition! Squirt a little Sriracha over your eggs and you’ve got a healthy breakfast, lunch, or dinner in less than 10 minutes.

Sweet Potato

Potatoes are one of my favorite foods. I love their soft texture and hearty flavor that can be enhanced by literally anything. But if you’re going to have a potato, you’re best off choosing a sweet potato. They’re full of beta-carotene, Vitamins A, B6, C, and D, healthy carbs, iron, magnesium, and potassium. The natural sugars found in sweet potatoes release slowly into the bloodstream, which ensures balanced and gradual energy release. That means no sugar high followed by a crash, which is ideal right before a final exam. Microwave the potato for 4-9 minutes, depending on its size. Don’t forget to wash it first and poke a few holes in it; without the holes, it could explode in the microwave. No one wants that. Cut it open and add black beans, ground turkey, vegetables, or other fixins’. I like to smear a little pesto on my sweet potatoes; the saltiness of the pesto pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the potato!

Lunchtime Roll Up

If you’re tired of sandwiches, here’s a new spin on the lunchtime classic. Lay a whole-wheat wrap on a plate and basically fill it to your stomach’s content. Try this winning combo: spinach, turkey, feta, and hummus. You could also spread cheese on the wrap and put it in the microwave until the cheese melts. Add chicken, salsa, and guacamole for a quesadilla roll-up. A roll up sandwich is easy to carry and eat if you’re on the go, which is perfect for us students running from one professor’s office hours to another’s.

[PAGEBREAK]

Frozen Veggie Stir-fry

Buying frozen veggies is cost efficient and convenient. Rather than worrying about when vegetables will go bad in the fridge, buy them frozen so that you don’t have to worry too much about an expiration date. Whip them out of the freezer when you’re hungry and nuke them in the microwave with some water. Toss them in a pan with olive oil and make sure to season them thoroughly! Add cooked quinoa and chicken and you’re set to go.

PB & J With A Toasty Twist

Classic peanut butter and jelly is a very safe bet; you seriously can’t go wrong. But take this childhood favorite to the next level by adding sliced bananas or strawberries and toasting the sandwich in a Panini maker. Your mind will be BLOWN.

10-Minute Homemade Pizza

Store-bought frozen pizzas are decent, but why not create your own pizza masterpiece? This is healthier and more fun, as you’re making your very own pizza and controlling what goes on it. Start with whole-wheat naan or pita bread. Top it with whatever your heart desires. I suggest pesto, hummus, tomato sauce, veggies, and/or shredded cheese. Place your creation on a baking pan and bake it at 350 degrees until the cheese melts and the bread is crusty and delicious. Take a study break while it bakes and do some Facebook trolling. You deserve it.

Smoothies

Smoothies are a great way to fit in lots of nutritious goodness in a small package. Mix greens like kale or spinach into your smoothie for added nutritional benefits. Use yogurt for added protein! Consider putting peanut butter, fruit, almond milk, and other veggies into your smoothie. Top it with a little granola or cereal for added crunch!

Image Sources:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/12/loaded-baked-sweet-potato.html

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-peanut-butter-and-banana-sandwich/

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/green-smoothie/

Gabby is a senior at Boston College studying Marketing. She is a writer and a publicity team member for HerCampus BC. On campus, she is a Lead Heath Coach through the Office of Health promotion. She is also the Health and Wellness Coordinator for the Women In Business group. Her interests include nutrition, fitness, peanut butter, and Justin Timberlake. She studied in Sevilla, Spain for the 2014 Spring semester and is excited to return to her beloved Boston to finish off her Bean Town checklist before graduation!
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum