Primark Travels Across the Pond!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Last winter one of my roommates rocked a super soft, understated blanket scarf from Aritzia, and because I couldn’t justify spending $90 on a scarf, I borrowed hers…a lot. I knew I eventually would need to cough up the money and buy my own, especially because said roommate is abroad (hey Sami), but was still dreading the price tag—until I walked into Primark this past Thursday. “Super soft, understated blanket scarf”? $7. Seven. I bought two. And thus began my love affair with Primark.

The global retail behemoth opened as Penney’s in Dublin in 1969 and it now boasts over 270 stores across Europe. The retail giant has been planning its journey across the pond for years, and moving into Filene’s Burnham Building in Downtown Crossing seemed like the perfect fit.

Boston’s first Primark store is four floors, 77,000 square feet of amazing, jaw-dropping prices—with quality not completely spared. The personalities of both Boston and Dublin are expressed through impressive window displays and wall graphics, and the history of the building is preserved through an eye-catching infographic of Filene’s story on the second floor. Primark focuses phenomenally on the shopper’s experience. The dressing rooms are chic and comfortable, the workers are friendly, lounge areas are easy to find on every floor—fully equipped with iPhone charging cables. Even ESPN plays full-time in the menswear department—so yes, boyfriend, we’re bringing you shopping.

Most of the store is womenswear, but I don’t want to discount their cool menswear section, not to mention shoes, accessories, cosmetics, hosiery, luggage and intimates. Fourth floor is filled with little baby combat boots and decorative pillows (kids and home, duh).

Now let’s talk prices. Jeans—ranging from skinny jeans and jeggings to corduroys and boyfriend cuts—start at $7. Thick cable knit sweaters, merino wool v-necks, and chunky turtlenecks start at $8. Are you hooked yet? Leggings start at $3.50, and sneakers—yes, like work-out sneakers—start at $9.

The price points are far, far better than Forever 21 or H&M, and yet, the quality is better. Primark is able to keep their prices so low because they move an incredibly large amount of product every day and they keep their markups very low. The Primark warehouse is in Pennsylvania, and hundreds of new styles are brought into Boston every single day—new graphics, new cuts, new colors.

Thanks to the gloomy, rainy, chilly Boston weather yesterday I was able to rock some Primark goodies. Black booties (obviously based off of last season’s Sam Edelmans) for around $20, and what the Irish call “busted-knee-denim” for around $15. The items I chose were on display, and the prices were high (can you even call those high?) because they were marked “premium”.

I promise you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the fabric and style quality, and your wallet will be full and happy. My advice? Save your money by shopping at Primark and then spend it on really good food, like brunch at Barcelona. It’s really a win-win situation.

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.