Post-Graduation Trip Planning Guide

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Spring is (finally) in the air.  It’s the last week of classes.  Finals are around the corner and graduation is less than a month away.  People are starting to realize that we’re almost part of the real world.  We’re interviewing for jobs, finding apartments, and planning trips around the country and around the world.

Think about it.  What better time is there to set off on a new adventure?  We’re young, we’re energetic, and we’re enthusiastic.  We’re excited to live and to experience new things.  We want to meet new people and go new places and try new things.  We want to explore the world.  We want to make memories.

Easier said than done, unfortunately.  Planning the perfect post-graduation trip takes time and patience.  You have to choose a destination, book flights, make hotel reservations, figure out how to get from place to place, decide what you want to visit, and somehow figure out a way to pay for it all.  This doesn’t exactly seem like the most fun way to spend your last few weeks in college, does it?

Trips like these are the things you keep with you forever, so even if you’re completely dreading the planning process, it will be more than worth it in the end.  Not sure where to start?  Here’s Her Campus BC’s travel checklist:

1. Choose your travel companions.  Is this a trip for you and your best friends?  Did you want to travel with your family?  Alone?
  2. Choose a destination.  Where do you want to go?  You can visit your friends from your study abroad program or head somewhere completely new.  Asking your friends and family for suggestions can be a great way to start.
  3. Decide what you want to see.  Is this a vacation?  Try an all-inclusive resort for the easiest, least-stressful trips.  Do you want to travel around and experience new things?  Check out companies like Contiki for their amazing tour packages.  Minimal planning, maximum experience.
  4. Choose a date.  Sometime between graduation and when work starts is perfect.  Just make sure it doesn’t conflict with any existing responsibilities like summer weddings!
  5. Set your budget.  This is a trip of a lifetime, so don’t spare on expenses, but do make sure that you plan how you’re going to spend your money.  Don’t book anything without doing some research to get the best deals out there.
  6. Book it and get excited!!

See?  Not that bad!  Where are you going this summer?  The ladies at Her Campus BC are looking for some ideas…

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.