A Playlist for Your Studies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

We’re back in session and so the studying begins.  Finding the perfect studying playlist can be a roller coaster of emotion.  The songs can’t be too soft and slow so that the combined boring power of music and homework lulls you to sleep—and yet, they can’t be so exciting that you’re creating a twerk distraction in the library.  They can’t be sad—homework is already sad—and they can’t be so folksy that we throw away our laptops to go live in the woods.  So here I’ve come up with my perfect study playlist for the moment—some non-boring, relatively calm, happy-ish, fairly accessible music.  Enjoy!

1. “What’ll I Do” by Lisa Hannigan

For me, this song feels like a warm-up, so it seemed like the best way to start our playlist. Any Hannigan fans out there surely know this one; its tempo is perfect for cracking open the heavy physics/bio/philosophy books.

1. “Hesitate” by Steve Moakler

Listen to Steve’s beautiful voice or take a look at your iPod for a peek at that face.  He’s singing “Don’t hesitate!” – aka don’t procrastinate, student.  Bam, inspiration.

1. “You Got Me” by Tristan Prettyman

I’ve always found Tristan’s deep, sexy voice to be perfect for studying.  You’re working toward your goals!  Listen to Tristan: “You’ve got a lot to give… just so you know, you’ve got me.”  See?  You can do it… with Tristan’s help.

1.  “Forbidden Fruit” by J.Cole

This is one of my favorite songs off the new album, half because of the bass at the beginning and half because of Kendrick Lamar.  As usual, J. Cole inspires us about the grow-up struggle, so take a listen right as your motivation is starting to slip away.

1. “Bailando Por El Mundo” by Pitbull, feat. Juan Magan

Obviously this song is too fun to be good study music… and that’s because it’s time for a break!  Take a quick breather/3:22 mini-dance sesh with Armando y Juan.

1. “Video Games” by Lana Del Rey

Now that you’re all fired up by J.Cole, slow it down a little with Lana Del Rey who somehow always makes our “flat, broke-down”-ness seem way more poetic.  When your homework seems tedious, picture Lana Del Rey reading on a deck in L.A.  This always seems to help. 

1. “Landed” by Ben Folds Five

Get grounded with the virtuosic Ben Folds.  I strongly recommend getting the live version from his 2013 album—a really amazing rendition.

1. “French Navy” by Camera Obscura

This song is a staple for any study playlist, simply because it begins in a dusty library and gets way more exciting from there… which is exactly how we want studying to go.  This picks up the pace from Ben Folds Five, but remains mellow enough for concentration.

1. “In the Beginning” by K’naan

It’s always good to have a song that you’ve heard a thousand times on your study playlist. That way, you don’t pay too much attention and can just lip-sync along in solidarity.  This song might be a little too moving—resist that urge to leave school and go change the world. Finish your homework first.

10. “Roar” by Katy Perry

Your homework is done (wow that was fast!).  ROAR.

Photo Sources:

http://cdn.ticketfly.com/i/00/…

http://attheloft.typepad.com/….

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LKAQ…

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."