Perks of a Guy Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

In high school, I was that girl who had a bunch of guy friends. They were always willing to give their unbiased opinions, to watch sports with me whenever, and were far from judgmental when it came to boyfriends, fashion, and everything else girl-related. When I arrived at BC, where freshmen live on single-sex floors, it was far easier for me to find a core group of girlfriends than to meet some guy friends. This all changed the first week of fall semester sophomore year when I met my best guy friend, Nick, in our biology lab. At first, we didn’t click and it seemed like we were pretty much just destined for small talk in a lab setting, but as the months of lab passed by and the conversations began to flow, we became absolutely inseparable. Having a guy best friend is easily one of the best things that came happen to a girl and I feel lucky and blessed to have met such an amazing person, literally by random chance.

A guy best friend can be the one element a girl needs in her life that can completely change her outlook on the world. He can provide a shoulder to lean on in times of trouble, an opinion that is different than the one usually given by girls, and advice with you in mind. Guys are minimal drama which is sometimes a welcomed change-of-pace compared to a room full of girls. They’re also protective, supporting, and understand you better than most. Plus you can always express your “guy side” around them: go makeupless, talk about sports, burp, really anything that would maybe provoke an eye-roll from your girlfriends. Guy best friends are also your biggest critics and often have no hesitation telling you “how it is”. Sometimes girls need grounding and guy friends provide this.

Guy friends are always there for you, through the good and ugly, no matter what. They are encouraging and protective, like an older brother figure, and will always tell you how it is. I cannot emphasize enough how important it has been to me to have a guy best friend by my side for the past year. Let’s be honest: guys rock. They don’t start drama, they don’t PMS, they don’t try to compete with you for the same guys, they stand up for you, and they are easy to understand and straight to the point. Convinced yet? Maybe even luckier, your guy best friend may just become “the one”. As Dave Matthews Band said, “A guy and a girl can be just friends, but at one point or another, they will fall for each other…Maybe temporarily, maybe at the wrong time, maybe too late, or maybe forever.” Some of the best relationships come out of friendships.

Photo Sources:

http://data3.whicdn.com/images/98308721/large.jpg

http://cdn.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/lilo-and-stitch-hug.gif

https://33.media.tumblr.com/47da2322db4b93a0ce520591ebe86898/tumblr_nc6z2ims711ti9mu8o1_500.gif

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.