Passing the Torch: Advice from this Year’s Seniors to Juniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As a rising senior, instead of focusing on finals and summer plans, my thoughts have been distracted imagining my next and final year at Boston College. The pain from not getting a mod is still very real, but I can’t help but daydream about tailgating for football games, going out every night, and finally taking a Capstone! Not to mention all of the cool events happening for BC’s Sesquicentennial celebration!

In the mindset of YOLO, there’s a huge pressure to have The Best Year Ever as a senior. We all want to make the most ridiculous memories and take advantage of everything that being a senior entails. I see seniors walking around campus hung over, on any given day, and listen with envy as they describe their nonexistent homework.

Hoping to do senior year right with no regrets, I asked some current seniors for their words of wisdom. BC’s spirit of “lighting the world aflame” is alive and well – these seniors were more than happy to pass the torch and give me all of their insider information. Class of 2013, listen up!

Cara Condon, Aubrey Pringle, Sam Guy, Cara Snajczuk, Taylor Costas, Leah Cowper, and Kimby Heil enjoying their senior year.

“Don’t make plans, just do them. We all spend so much time saying ‘we have to go here’ and we never actually do. Be proactive and take initiative about going to what you want to go to.”

“Go to fun random stuff – those little things that come up each year that you’ve always wanted to do. Like finally go see a Shovelhead show.”

“If you live in a mod, grill as much as possible. Every sunny day.”

“Moderation is crucial. You don’t need to go out every single night, but you also shouldn’t waste your entire senior year studying every night either.”

“It’s not all about going out, so don’t feel obligated to live up to a senior year ideal.”

“Buy seven cases for every tailgate – it will never be too much!”

“Go into Boston as much as you can, especially if you’re not from here or won’t stay here after graduation. Take advantage of your time here in this city.”

“Still build new friendships and be open to new people, but at the end of the day, hang out with who makes you happy. Don’t go meet new people just because you feel like it’s what you should do if you’d rather be with your good friends.”

“Stress less. In fact, just don’t stress.”

“If you end up in your parents’ basement, you’ll survive. BC encourages competition but don’t freak out. (But also start early on the job hunt and be proactive.)”

And the most vague, yet possibly most insightful piece of advice: “Nothing you do senior year will matter in the future.” Keep things in perspective and don’t put so much pressure to have an amazing senior year.

Thanks to the Class of 2012 for helping us out each year. Best of luck in your life post-BC, we’ll miss you. And to my classmates: have a great summer, and I’ll see you in the mods next September tailgating!

Photo Credit:
Leah Cowper

Are you a graduating senior with more helpful tips for the rising seniors? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter!

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.