Parental Pleasing At BC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

With the passing of another Parent’s Weekend, there are a few notable lessons that can be learned in order to create a successful family visit.  While every family is different and parents all have their own habits, rules, or traditions, certain actions always stand out as no-fail parental pleasers.  Keeping these tips in mind will ensure both you and your parents enjoy the visit to the fullest.

1.Get Your Work Done

If at all possible, go out of your way to get your homework and studying for the weekend done ahead of time. Although they will never admit to it, this is likely the only time your parents would ever secretly discourage studying because they’d simply rather spend the time with you for the short period they have on campus.  Stay in for a Thursday night or skip a trip to the Plex and dedicate that time to getting ahead.  You will appreciate the nice weekend break from stress, and they will appreciate not being shoved out the door early in order for you to make it to Bapst.

2.Have a Plan

Parents love to see an organized schedule of activities for the weekend to keep things flowing smoothly.  It shows you’re taking initiative and looking forward to their arrival ahead of time.  Make restaurant reservations well in advance so you don’t get stuck with a two-hour wait, and if you have spare time between all the tailgating and football, plan a fun activity in the city.  Try walking Newbury Street or the Freedom Trail or checking out the Museum of Fine Arts.

3.Ditch the Hard Alcohol

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a few drinks with your parents if you are 21, but it may be best to stash the Rubinoff away.  There is nothing parents like less than the idea of their kids getting too drunk on cheap vodka.  Splurge a little on decent beer (no, Natural Light doesn’t count) or some champagne and orange juice and surprise them with a nice mimosa instead. 

4.Introduce Them to Your Friends and Their Parents

Your parents will probably be feeling like the awkward new kids on the block if they’re not overly familiar with your BC friends yet.  Take the initiative to introduce them to your friends and roommates as well as their parents so that they can mingle and you don’t have to feel like a babysitter.   If you’re feeling really ambitious, coordinate a group dinner with your parents and roommates so everyone can really get to know one another.

5.Value Their Opinions

Waking up early (potentially still hung over) on Sunday to attend Mass with your parents certainly doesn’t sound ideal, but if it’s important to your parents, then make it a priority.  This is their weekend and after paying your tuition and giving you the opportunity to attend BC, the least you could do is spend one weekend giving them a chance to choose the weekend activities.  Be enthusiastic about it and grateful for the limited time you have with them.

Although they can be a huge pain at times, it’s undeniable that a visit from parents is always comforting.  Respect the time and effort they take to get there and keep in mind everything they do to send you to BC.  Allowing them to have the best weekend possible is the least to do in return.

Photo Sources:

http://bcalumni.smugmug.com/Events/Parents-Weekend-2012/

http://www.t3-crossfit.com/mimosas-for-moms

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.