An Open Letter to My Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear Mom,

I never thank you enough for everything that you do for me. You are always my biggest supporter, and I know that you have my back all the time. I love that I can talk to you about anything: I will be forever grateful for our very open communication. You always know what to say when I’m having a rough day, and you can sense before anyone else when something is wrong. 

You are the best judge of character: you always were right about those friends and those boys. Even though you always say I look good, if I need your honest opinion, you will tell me if a dress isn’t flattering, or if my makeup is too dark. You will kindly tell me that the boy I am seeing doesn’t seem like a nice boy, and you are always right. Your wisdom is unmatched, and your compassion and love is as well. You have taught me how to love myself and be proud of my accomplishments, while still being modest, and supportive of others. You are not only my mom; you are my friend, and I am so grateful for that. I can trust you with anything, and know that you will never judge me. You let me make some mistakes to learn from them, but always keep me on track.

I know that you raised me well, because I am considered the mom of my friend group: I am constantly checking in to make sure everyone is okay, leaving notes of encouragement on pillows, and making sure no one leaves the dorm on a chilly Saturday night without a jacket (even though there was once a time when I got overly frustrated when you told me I needed a coat for school).

I love that we share an obsession for statement necklaces, and how similar we are, even though it gets awkward when people ask if you’re my older sister. Although you refuse to get a Snapchat (c’mon that would be so fun), you are still the coolest mom I know; Halloween sophomore year shows that (I am so sorry for the years that night probably took off of your life). I love how close my friends are with you, and that we can sit at the kitchen table with you and talk for hours about life while you give us boy advice. I love our Shake Shack dates, where we gossip about anything and everything. Our phone calls make my week, and hugging you makes me feel like everything will be okay, even if I probably failed my Econ exam and I actually have no money. When I was younger, the safest place in the world was in your arms, and it still is. You will never understand how much you mean to me, how much our relationship means to me. You are the smartest, most beautiful person I know, and I feel so lucky to call you my mom. You are my biggest role model, and the most inspiring, genuine, loving, and compassionate person I know. I hope to someday be nearly as successful as you, and to be nearly as good of a mom as you.

I don’t say it often enough, but I am so blessed to have you in my life.

Love you forever! 

Jackie is a freshman at Boston College studying Communication and Economics. She can be found spending time with her Little Sister, watching Audrey Hepburn movies and working on her blog. She is a jewelry addict and is a Merchandiser for a jewelry company.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.