An Open Letter to His Future Girlfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

To my Ex’s Future Girlfriend:

Please be patient and tell him how much he means to you. Tell him you love him often.

Nights in watching Netflix or being goofballs or hanging out with mutual friends are nights well spent. You do not need to go out and about on expensive dates to enjoy his company. He is happiest doing the simple things; just grabbing ice cream and walking around the park is perfect. He will want to spoil you, but don’t let him – tell him it is appreciated but not needed. He will give you flowers for no reason at all, so always have a vase ready and filled with water. Make an effort to get to know his family because his sister became one of my good friends during our relationship and his mom and dad are very sweet people.

Don’t be scared to fight, but fight to fix what’s broken, not to break something. He is sensitive and will take what you say personally, so please be careful with your words. Too many times I was accused of saying things I didn’t really mean because I didn’t think before I spoke. He is fragile, but I promise he loves you more than you know. Treat him well because he deserves someone who does. Unfortunately, that person was not me and I am hoping it can be you. He deserves someone who will drive around singing country songs at midnight, someone who will support his music goals (he is wicked good at saxophone if you didn’t know), and someone who will encourage him to jump out of his comfort zone every once in awhile.

He will tell you that he is not good enough, smart enough, athletic enough, or funny enough. Do not believe it for a second. He will show you time and time again through his own actions that, in fact, he won a prestigious award in high school, was accepted to University of Michigan Honors, ran track all four years in high school, and is maybe too sarcastic and witty for his own good. Love him for him, not what he has or has not accomplished; he will do the same for you, I promise.

Finally, I ask you to trust him with everything in you. He is a wonderful listening ear and will drop everything to help you when needed. Do not take advantage of this, but rather use it to strengthen your relationship. Loving someone gives you the power to hurt them but that is a chance you must take because he is worth it. He was worth every tear, curse word, and slamming door. I hope you are better than me in every single way possible because he deserves someone as genuine, wholehearted, and gorgeous as you.

– Your Boyfriend’s Ex

Sources:

Diana is a freshman at BC this year majoring in biology on a pre-med track. In her limited free time she enjoys running the res, finding the best fro-yo places around, and spending time with the awesome people she's met!
Emily Boches is currently a student at Boston College, majoring in Communications with a minor in Philosophy. She is also hoping to become a Veterinarian in the future. Emily is originally from Massachusetts, just 30 minutes outside of Boston. Her small city lies right on the coast where the beach is no more than 2 minutes away. She spends her free time getting addicted to shows on Netflix (it happens to the best of us), napping, and taking Buzzfeed quizzes.