An Open Letter to the Boston College Class of 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear BC Class of 2020,

Congratulations! By now, you’ve gotten your acceptance letters and seen the Class of 2020 admissions video. You’ve worked really hard the last four years and achieved so much, and we want to welcome you and all your skills and talents to Boston College.

When you come for Admitted Eagle Day, for Orientation and move-in in the fall, you might feel nervous. You might feel anxious, happy, excited, terrified, and any other adjective you could think of, maybe all at once. We want you to know that we’re here for you, we’ve done it before, and we love you already.

Each and every one of you will have a unique experience here, and you will leave Boston College with a wealth of ideas and skills to share with the world. You’ll join different clubs, foster different relationships, and immerse yourselves in a number of various fields. However, as a Boston College Eagle, you’ll find an even greater sense of solidarity and oneness. It’s tangible; rushing Alumni Stadium after we beat USC, winning the Beanpot, watching performances in Robsham, just sitting in class.

As I’m sure you already know – life at BC won’t always be easy. You’ll suffer through all-nighters, difficult exams; maybe have a tough living situation, maybe heartbreak. You might not get into the study abroad program you’ve had your heart set on. It won’t always be easy, but we promise you, it’s worth it and we support you. As hard as life at Boston College can get, you’ll make friends for life, develop relationships with award-winning professors who want you to succeed (really!), and every experience you have here will contribute to who you are.

All of that might be a lot to promise. You should know that those promises of unity and camaraderie are contingent on one person: you. Life at BC is what you make of it. We won’t lecture you on maintaining good time-management values, about going to your professors’ office hours, about trying to avoid eating Late Night too often. What we do want you to do is get out of your comfort zone and embrace diversity and vulnerability. The only way to develop that relationship with an esteemed professor who doesn’t know your name is to have that first (awkward) chat. You are never alone in your discomfort.

You won’t click with everyone, and that’s okay. You’ll constantly meet new people and find that your relationships are very fluid. Your best friends when you graduate may be the same students you talked to during Orientation, or they could be students you meet spring semester junior year. You may have heard about the BC Bubble – it’s a myth. The BC Bubble is nothing but a construct designed to justify our passivity and self-incurred limitations of interaction with not only the world beyond Chestnut Hill, but members of the Boston College community outside our current circle. Again, your life and experiences at BC are what you make of them.  

The most important lesson we want you to take away from your time at Boston College is to always keep your heart and mind open, give generously, and stay curious. By doing this, we have every confidence that each one of you has the capacity to set the world aflame. So again, congratulations on your acceptance to Boston College, and we look forward to welcoming you in the fall.

Love,

Your Fellow Eagles

Sources:

http://www.bc.edu/bc-web/_jcr_content/par/news_3_column/par2/video/image.img.png/1458323557347.png

https://www.bc.edu/offices/pubaf/bcsocial/bc2020/_jcr_content/content/te…

Puppy lover. Starbucks obsessed. Accounting and Finance major in CSOM...and a girl with a disproportionate number of Gassongrams on her insta feed. Member of the Boston College Marching Band and the Shaw Leadership Program.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.