An Open Letter to Abby Wambach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear Abby Wambach,

The first time I had ever heard of you it was during the 2004 Olympics. I was eight and my little brother played soccer, but I did not. In my family, the Olympics were always on the TV. I remember watching the gold medal women’s soccer game between the US and Brazil and I didn’t know what was going on, until all of a sudden my parents started cheering. You had just scored in the 112th minute of the game to give the US a 2-1 lead. When I asked who scored, they replied with your name and it was the first time I had ever heard of you. I, along with the rest of the country, cheered when the US National Anthem played in the soccer stadium, and I went to bed remembering Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Kristine Lily and Abby Wambach. With that in mind, the next year, I started playing soccer.

I’m ashamed to say that I didn’t pay any attention to the 2007 World Cup, probably because I didn’t really know that there was a World Cup for women. But I do remember the day when I found out that you broke your leg and couldn’t play in the 2008 Olympics. I was devastated. All the old players were gone and you were the only person that I recognized and then, all of a sudden, you were gone too. I didn’t watch soccer in the Olympics that year, out of solidarity for you, and when I heard that the US had won the Gold medal again, I was happy, but I was also sad that you weren’t standing there with them.

Abby, the 2011 Women’s World Cup made me fall in love with you. You inspired me to be amazing. Your leadership and strength on and off the field made me want to be a better soccer player. When I watched that amazing header in the 122 minute of the Brazil game, I cheered louder than I ever had for another sports moment. In that single game, you, Megan Rapinoe, and Ali Krieger became my favorite athletes. And I cried with you when penalty kicks didn’t go our way in the finals, but I knew that when 2015 rolled around, you would be back, stronger than ever, ready for that World Cup gold.

After the 2011 World Cup I religiously followed US soccer. I watched every Olympic game (and was ridiculously happy when we won Gold over Japan). I read all the articles on ussoccer.org and kept up with who was playing, who was getting called up, and who was leaving. I had no doubts that we were going to win the 2015 World Cup and when we did, I knew it was because of the leadership that you brought to the team.

Now you’re retiring and I’m conflicted about it. I’m sad because you have been one of my favorite players for ten years and I hate to see you leave the game. Watching you was always so exciting and the fact that I won’t be able to anymore, takes a little sparkle off the game.  But I can’t help, but be so thankful for everything that you have done for soccer, especially women’s soccer. You taught me about strength and leadership on and off the field. You taught me what it means to be a real leader. You taught me that even if I’m not on the field, I could still help my team. You taught me to never shy away from the ball and always play like it was my last game.  I learned that no matter what happens that takes me off course, I could always correct my path and fight for my goal.

Thank you, Abby Wambach, for teaching me and other girls in the country that even if we’re girls, we can still do anything we want. You taught us to refuse to be limited in our dreams and gave us the confidence to reach for the stars. You taught everyone that playing like a girl means playing like a bad*ss. I will miss watching you play, but I will always hold a little spot in my heart for the player that introduced me to the amazing sport of women’s soccer.

Sincerely,

Maddy

Photo Sources

https://45.media.tumblr.com/2fd5a956e3a885d34faa6d3d16ad012a/tumblr_mwn1hxPOAI1t0s2cdo1_400.gif

https://33.media.tumblr.com/f8a814834a2d05c120a34e924b582424/tumblr_nr1jd7xzw91ro69xno1_540.gif

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/63fd604eecd7d684c33fe87a7472b90e5c9aa029/c=0-46-1431-1954&r=1155&c=0-0-1152-1536/local/-/media/2015/05/19/Rochester/Rochester/635676722050803781-roc-56mebeilu05rossbm71-original.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2282658!/img/httpImage/image…

Maddy is a Sophomore at Boston College studying Communications and History. Currently living in Los Angeles, Maddy spends her time watching procedurals on Netflix, volunteering for either the Student Admissions Program or Samaritans, reading celebrity gossip, or searching for the best french fries in town.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.