Old Lower vs. New Lower

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

There always seems to be controversy surrounding dining here at Boston College. As a junior, I got the full experience of lower last year and have soft spot in my heart for ol’ Corcoran Commons. I haven’t really been affected by the changes in the dining hall since then, and I never really eat dinner on campus… ever. With a sparked interest in finding out exactly what makes “New Lower” better or worse than “Old Lower,” I decided to conduct some field research in the related topic. Here’s what I’ve decided are the pros and cons to our new dining hall system.

1. No Chobani: What a terrible loss. New Lower, you really screwed us on this one. I ate Chobani almost every day last year for breakfast, and I feel bad for those who can’t seem to get their Chobes fix by running in to Lower quickly (instead of running up to the mini-mart) and grabbing their favorite flavor. Sad, sad stuff. 1 point to Old Lower.

2. Mini-Mart: I was impartial to this when I first heard about it. A mini-mart on campus? Who needs this when you have City Co right across the street? And you have to use your Eagle Bucks? Blasphemy. Reluctantly, I went to go check out the mini-mart and it was awesome. Especially since it uses my flex plan and not my eagle bucks. Even more so, you can now buy Nutella on campus using your EagleOne Card. I don’t hate it. Not one bit. 1 point to New Lower.

3. Lines: Everyone knows not to go to Lower from 6-7 pm, but everyone seems to do it anyway. Is it just me, or have the lines gotten worse since last year? The Grill line snakes through to the salad bar and back by the refreshments. And don’t even try your luck with the Steak & Cheese line. You ain’t moving anytime soon. 1 point to Old Lower.

4. Addie’s: When I heard from one of my roommates that Addie’s wasn’t coming back, I almost transferred (obviously kidding, but I didn’t know how I was going to make it with no veggie burgers). One of the happiest days of my life was when I realized that she was wrong and Addie’s was, in fact, in its rightful place. Nothing’s better than a little Addie’s. 1 point to New Lower for saving such a gem.

5. Hillside: Disclaimer: this doesn’t necessarily pertain to Lower, but the new dining hall system in general. Again, I feel bad for those who have to use their EagleBucks to buy their favorite New England Classic panini. This doesn’t apply to me, but I would hate to not be able to enjoy a great sandwich and frips with some friends in between classes. 1 point to Old Lower.

6. Milkshakes: Last, but very certainly not least, the new milkshake machine. I always assumed that Stuart was the only dining hall with the milkshake machine because BC felt bad for those kids that had to live on Newton (sorry to all of you Newton-ites). I haven’t personally tried it, but I’ve heard wonders. Now lower campus can enjoy the delectable tastes of a fresh milkshake. 1 point to New Lower.

There are pros and cons to both New Lower and Old Lower. Either way, BC does a great job at feeding us and keeping us healthy. Keep it up BC.

Photo Source:

I am currently a student at Boston College studying Communications & French.
Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.