Not Your Average “Love Story”: JACK AND JILL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

BC Theatre Department Presents JACK AND JILL

By Morgan Gibbons

This weekend aka starting TONIGHT, on Thursday February 21st through Saturday February 23rd, the BC Theatre Department will be featuring the show “Jack and Jill.” No it is not based off of the classic children’s story, nor is it based off the subpar comedy made by Adam Sandler in 2011 in which he plays both men and female roles (although that would be interesting). A little confused about what the show was about, I went to one of the stars of the production who was able to tell me that, “simply put, the show is about falling in and out of love. This is a theme I am sure we can all relate to.

Although Some elements of the show are very abstract, such as the dressers who enable on-stage costume and prop changes or the oft-times disjointed dialogue, the characters are very honest and exposed, which makes them relevant to the audience. The theme of miscommunication that sometimes gets caught in reltionships rings true throughout this show because even when Jack and Jill are on the same page, it seems like they are having two totally different conversations with each other. Basically Jack and Jill seem to be that couple arguing with each other one morning in Lower but then blissfully holding hands as they stroll through the quad by the afternoon.

I was able to catch up with Ceara O’Sullivan (BC ’14) who is cast as Jill in the show to understand it a bit more. When asking her about her role she was quite blatant about it, “The first time I read the script, I straight-up thought Jill was crazy. But I’ve realized, she isn’t crazy, she’s just confused. She wants, more than anything, to be independent. So, falling in love really freaks her out, since connectedness and codependency are inherent parts of being in love. This ‘catch 22’ haunts Jill throughout the whole show. Should she give in to love? Or be in control?” What I love about the show so far and why I will be coming is because it seems so relatable to our lives as college students working our way through relationships and attachment.

The work put into this show is amazing and anyone who comes will be able to realize that Director, senior Hana Hyseni ’13 has poured her heart and soul into this show and is very talented. Although not a feminist play, anyone who identifies as a feminist would find this show quite intriguing. Jill identifies very much as a feminist and is a dynamic, strong-willed woman—which is partially why Jack is so attracted to her—but it creates problems in their relationship, too.
 The design team, the stage manager, Steph Flores ‘13, and the entire cast have worked really hard to make this show happen.

“Jack and Jill” is a show that is funny, sad, poignant, confusing, and pretty real. If this isn’t enough attraction, Ceara notes “the leads have to be on-stage in their undies…so if all else fails, the public semi-nudity will be pretty entertaining.”

Don’t miss out on this relatable “love story!” Just like “Jack and Jill went up the hill”, so does love and as we all know Jack, Jill and love sometimes do fall down. Get your tickets soon, they are selling out!

Photo Source:

http://www.facebook.com/events…

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.