The New Year: Forever Alone?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As the clock turned to midnight and the world rang in 2014, the “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” cameras in Times Square panned to couples locking lips in celebration of the New Year. Kissing your significant other (or in some cases, a perfect stranger) on New Year’s Eve has been a tradition for what seems like forever. This tradition can certainly elicit mixed feelings for all of the single ladies out there, or those who are separated by distance from their special someone. 

You may have experienced this phenomenon, and regardless of which end of the spectrum you are on, New Year’s can end up being slightly depressing when you don’t have someone to share it with. Unfortunately, the infamous mantra “forever alone” tends to pop up during the holidays, especially on New Year’s Eve.

For one thing, you are not forever alone. Yes, you may have seen everyone around you appear to be blissfully happy with his or her significant other over the holidays, but that doesn’t mean that 2014 won’t bring amazing new experiences for you. Being in a relationship is absolutely wonderful, don’t get me wrong, but there are so many more experiences to look forward to in the New Year.

Even though the holidays often make people think that they are “alone”, it is important to recognize the many different kinds of love that we all receive, and acknowledge the significance of each relationship and person we hold dear in our lives.

Whether you are attacking 2014 in a relationship, single, or somewhere in between, get excited for the New Year and all it has in store for you.

Photo Sources:

http://www.happynewyears2014.in/new-year-wallpapers-2014/

http://dconheels.com/?p=21662

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better. 
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum