National Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The week of February 23rd may have little or no significance for you. For others, this is the week that they feel they are actually being heard and advocated for. February 23rd- March 1st is National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. This year, the theme is “I Had No Idea.”

National Eating Disorder Awareness week aims to bring light to the growing issue of body image issues, eating disorders, and the impact they have on everyone (National Eating Disorders Association, 2013).  

With an estimated 8 million Americans suffering from some form of an eating disorder, and almost half of the American population directly knowing someone with an eating disorder, this week is important for the awareness of resources available to those who suffer from an eating disorder. It also allows those who are affected by the impact of an eating disorder to realize they are not alone in this and connect with others going through the same thing. It also allows the public to get more information on eating disorders and to learn how to help others struggling with one. For more information, head over to nedawareness.org.

Interested to find more information on NEDAwareness Week events? Check out this site.

Photo Sources:

http://24flinching.com/word/gold-seal/inspiring-projects/neda-awareness-…

http://www.liberonetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/NEDAW-2013.jpg

Alana is currently a junior at Boston College studying Communications and marketing. She is the Publicity director and events coordinator for Her Campus BC as well as being a part of the editorial team. 
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum