National Crab Rangoon Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

So it’s the day before Valentine’s Day and every single girl is cursing the day—but why?! It’s National Crab Rangoon Day! So, it’s time to get together with your girlfriends to celebrate this peculiar holiday that is strategically placed on the eve of “Single Awareness Day.”

For those of you who have deprived yourselves of this Chinese-American treat, here’s what you need to know: Crab Rangoon are deep-fried, cream cheese and crab-stuffed dumplings. Understandable if that doesn’t sound all that appealing to you, but try one! And you won’t be stopping there—trust me. 

Rang Day actually originated in Boston by Kara Sweeney, Sarah White, and Kristin Ostrem who decided there should be a day to cherish the deep-friend dumplings. The three Boston friends decided that people who were not in a relationship should still have something to look forward to around Valentine’s Day. As such, they deemed February 13th as the day to celebrate “the rang” and enjoy time with friends to make Valentine’s Day fun even if you are single.

Basically, you can use National Crab Rangoon Day as a day to laugh at your unrealistic expectations: no, the boy from your lit class did not slip you a folded note that read, “Friday?” Nor did that boy down the hall break up with his girlfriend to realize that he belongs with you (in TSwift fashion, of course). So, kick off your uncomfortable shoes (that you just had to wear the day before Valentine’s Day to relish your last chance of getting asked out) and spend time with your friends to realize that it’s OK not to have a date on Valentine’s Day.

Also, your National Crab Rangoon Day gathering will be a great time to make a game plan for the following day (V-Day). While you and your friends are pigging out at the lost cause of being date-ready, begin bracing yourselves of what you will all have to face tomorrow. No need to be miserable because you have stuffed yourself full of crab, so smile big and (at least pretend to) be happy for all those in love. Try.

Places that deliver:

Golden Temple: 617-277-9722

Green Tea Resaurant (Newton): 617-965-2260

Photo Sources:

http://thetuckerbag.blogspot.com/2012/04/crab-rangoon-theory.html

http://parentables.howstuffworks.com/slideshows/nesting/10-homemade-gifts-for-your-valentine/

http://myfridgefood.com/viewrecipe.php?recipe=20005

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."