More Than Just a Game: BC versus USC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Let’s be honest: last weekend’s game versus USC was the ultimate story of the underdog. After a tough 30-20 loss versus Pittsburgh at home under the lights on September 5th, it seemed like this year’s football season maybe wasn’t going to be as successful as we all hoped. Fast-forward a week later and BC was facing one of its toughest foes of the season: the then-ranked ninth team in the country, the University of Southern California. USC was favored to win by 20 points, and there was a feeling that the game could definitely not be in our favor if we failed to stop USC’s run game.

But then the most amazing thing happened: we won. Not only did we win, but also we played a hell of a game. That’s right, BC, the underdogs of the year, upset #9 USC. The rush game was pretty much incredible: the Eagles outgained USC on the ground 452 yards to 20. (The Trojans haven’t given up that many rushing yards since 1977!) The Eagles sacked star USC quarterback, Cody Kessler, five times, and the airtight defense only allowed Kessler to complete one pass for more than 20 yards during the entire game. After watching two seasons of BC football, I cannot begin to explain how much more incredible this game was than any of the past ones.

Freshman running back Marcus Outlow stated about the game: “It was great for the school, our program and our team. Being underestimated is great for us, gives us plenty of motivation and it sticks to the back of our minds! We believed we could do it when a lot of people didn’t. We’re a special group and with hard work, we can get things done!” Who doesn’t love that attitude? Never doubt the underdog, ladies and gentlemen.

The most incredible aspect of this game was that it was won in honor of Welles Crowther, the late BC grad, whose heroism during the 9/11 terrorism attack saved a dozen citizens. The red bandanas worn throughout the crowd, the red bandana additions to the players’ uniforms, and the appearance of Welles’ parents during halftime on the field were one of the most incredible and emotional experiences that I have ever been apart of at Boston College. When the game ended, with an incredible victory, Steve Addazio did something pretty extraordinary and gave the game ball to Crowther’s parents, Allison and Jefferson, and gave them the opportunity to speak to the team. The BC players later talked about how moved they were by the Crowthers’ strength and their belief in BC and its students. Talk about amazing.

Between the incredible film at halftime of Pete Frates, the BC alum whose diagnosis of ALS jumpstarted the Ice Bucket Challenge (personal plug: check out my article on this if you missed it!) to Welles Crowther’s parents on the field, getting the biggest standing ovation I’ve ever seen at Alumni Stadium before, and being presented the game ball, to the amazing and incredible feeling that took over the game, it was no doubt that September 13, 2014 was one of my proudest and happiest days of being a Boston College Eagle. The rushing stampede of students (myself included) who ran onto the field after the victory sealed exactly what was the feeling the entire game: we are in this together. Win together, lose together, suffer together, cheer together, cry together, and celebrate together. At the end of the day, we are the BC community and we are proud of our team, our incredible alums, and the memories that we form together as members of this incredible university. At the end of the day, this game was so much more than just a football game.

Sources:

@BCInterruption

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=400547730

https://www.facebook.com/ManInRedBandana?fref=photo

https://www2.bc.edu/michael-canfield/boson%20college%20football.jpg

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.