ModilMe: “Your Boutique on Campus”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It is safe to say that BC students care about appearance and fashion. Look across the quad on any given day, and you will find yourself hardly able to spot students “scrubbing” to class in their pjs. In fact, our version of “scrubbing” is often wearing $100+ workout clothes. So, let’s be honest, that’s not scrubbing at all. Then, once in class, look around at the laptops, I can bet that almost half of the female students in addition to taking notes, are online shopping, looking at the latest trends and deciding what they want to by. Well, fellow online shoppers, do I have a new shopping website for you!

As Heidi Klum once said, “In the fashion world, one day you’re in and the next, you’re out,” and she is exactly right. Trends change, you get sick of your clothes, and every day you stare at a full closet and think, “Man, I have nothing to wear.” We shop not only to stay up with the trend, but also we get bored with what we have. So, with that in mind, Elyse Bush, a student here at BC, has partnered with her friend, Daniel Lyle, to create a company titled, “ModilMe,” where students can borrow, sell, and buy clothes and shoes throughout campus. This is a BC version of Rent the Runway. What a great idea!

Last semester, Elyse began this movement when she created a Facebook page titled “ModelMe,” that celebrated the diversity of fashion on BC’s campus. Taking the idea further, this semester, with the help of Daniel, Elyse has created “ModilMe” and launched the website this month. Here, BC students can buy and sell their clothes to other students on campus without even leaving their dorms. As part of the business, “ModilMe” reps will pick-up and deliver clothes and shoes. What great service! How cool is that! Let’s think, how many times will you actually wear that Lilly Pulitzer dress or Anthropology shirt, especially if we have taken many photos in it? Not many times. We learned long ago that as Kate told Lizzie McGuire, you don’t want to be an outfit repeater and this website will help you follow that advice on a budget! Also, if you don’t wear it, why not sell it and make some extra cash?

This video highlights”ModelME”, a movement Elyse started with friends to celebrate the diversity and the beauty of all students and their styles last semester.

In less than a year, it has grown and adapted into “ModilMe”!

Not only is the website able to help you make some extra money, but also, it is awesome if you ever need a dress for an event or an outfit and pair of shoes for an interview, and you just do not have the extra time or cash to purchase something new. Let’s be honest, we all know that there is little room in our dorm closets, so you might as well lend, sell, or even  borrow a new outfit to make room.

ModilMe just recently won “Best Service” in the CSOM’s Elevator Pitch Contest and are quickly becoming the best website on campus. Readers, this website is waiting for you to sell, lend, borrow, and buy your clothes. Holiday parties are just upon us, so start looking, maybe you will find that perfect pair of heels or dress to wear. Also, remember, winter is upon us and those parkas take up lots of space, so you may want to start making room by selling some of those extra sweaters that you know you just won’t wear. Happy shopping, BC collegiettes! Thanks to “ModilMe,” we don’t even need to leave campus to get a new outfit!

For more information, check out “ModilMe” on Facebook here & look at their website here!

Interested in the business and want to get more involved? “ModilMe” is looking for talented BC students to help launch this business! Fill out their new team member application and email ourfashionsense@gmail.com for more information!

Happy shopping and selling!

Sources:

https://youtu.be/jgk1PF8RQdM

https://www.facebook.com/ModilMeBC/

Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.