Meet Fun-Loving Senior, Rob Casilli!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Meet Rob Casilli—the friendly, hysterical senior we are all sad to see leave BC this year. If you did Appalachia the past few years, you might recognize him from meetings or trips. Or maybe you’ve partied in his mod this year and follow his mod’s hilarious Twitter (@mod4a, which will continue after its residents graduate, by the way). He’s a great leader and role model; if you haven’t met him yet, make sure to introduce yourself before you leave for the summer!

The Basics
Name: Rob Casilli
Hometown: Monroe, NY
School/Year: A&S 2012
Major: Psych major, History minor

BC Life
Activities/Clubs: Appa and Peer Health Exchange. I’ve been on five Appa service trips (led three times). PHE is a national non-profit that teaches health workshops in public schools in Boston. BC has about 120 volunteers; I’ve worked with PHE for three years and was a co-coordinator this year.
Best Class: Positive Psychology, you get to talk about happiness!
Worst Class: Developmental Psychology, you talk about babies…
Favorite Place to Eat: My mod—I make great grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli, and pasta dishes. But since I’m not on a meal plan, my favorite place to eat is wherever and whenever my Appa kids are eating!

Favorites
Movie: Forrest Gump
TV Show: South Park, I’ve seen every single episode!

Love Life
Single or Taken: Taken!
Deal Breakers: Smoking, definitely. They also can’t have a big ego (even though I have one) or be too materialistic.

Senioritis
Plans after Graduation:
I’m doing Teach for America in Tulsa, OK, teaching high school math (anything from algebra to calculus, depending on which subject I’m placed in). I’ll be going to Oklahoma in June to begin training with TFA and interviewing at partner high schools to get hired by a specific school. TFA is a two-year commitment, full-salary teaching position based on the need of the school district. I chose to go to Tulsa because Oklahoma is an “at-need region” that really needs volunteer numbers to expand; I wanted to go to a priority region (either rural or urban) that was also very diverse. I have experience being in high schools through PHE, and I’ve seen how teacher quality affects kids. I’ve also been relating to kids and experiencing different places through Appa, so I have seen the struggles of finding and attracting qualified educators. Tulsa is neither a “safe” nor “attractive” place for teachers, so they are in need. It just seemed like the right program for me, where I can combine my love of service with the stability of a full-time job.
After my two years with TFA, I might continue exploring teaching, maybe go to grad school eventually (for psychology or higher education). I might look into being a high school principal if it’s a good fit. Eventually I want to settle in the Northeast (love the cold weather) and have a family.
Best Memory at BC: Freshmen year when we rushed the court at the Duke game and rushed the field at the Tech game. I loved winning “Miss Relay for Life” this year (a pageant for men in drag); I had to model, walk around, do a talent (sang Lady Gaga’s “You and I” a capella), answer questions, and do a dance-off. But then this year in general, I’ve loved living in my mod with my best friends from freshmen year. It’s hard to pinpoint single memories, it’s all the little daily things.
Looking Forward to for Graduation: I’m really excited for the Dance of the Decades (I’ll be representing the best decade…2000 BC as Fred Flinstone!), the Booze Cruise for our trolleys with our friends, and just focusing on my friends in general throughout Senior Week. And of course, I’m excited for graduation! It’s been a quick but long four years, I’m ready for the next step. I haven’t freaked out yet, but maybe it’ll come. Most of the girls are freaking out. But I think BC has had enough of me!

Words of Wisdom
No One Should Leave BC Without:
– Having gone on a service trip
– Taking a break from worrying about classes and finding a job to just hang out with your friends
– Getting away and exploring Boston
– Owning a mod!
Advice for Having a Mod:
– Have a conversation with your roommates about boundaries and respect (it’s not anything goes)
– Grill a lot!
– Clean after your parties ASAP (it gets really gross)
– Don’t be afraid to be a buzz kill to people at your parties, they’re a big responsibility
Advice to Rising Seniors:
– Time goes really, really quickly; cherish your weekends
– Remember where you’ve been in the last three years when dealing with freshmen
– Be conscientious of your leadership roles—the way you act of weekends doesn’t go away during the week, so be responsible. The way you act socially affects you professionally, people recognize your face, etc.
– Go to the Plex! It’s so easy to get caught up on being social, but you’ll thank yourself come the end of spring semester! Going out Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday starts to show!
– Get a part-time job—senior year is expensive!

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.