Meet Bernard Homicile, Sophomore Sexual Chocolate Stepper!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

He’s funny.  He’s smart.  He’s a real cuddler and a cutie.  But most of all, he dances for Sexual Chocolate.  When he’s not busy practicing with the team, he can be found bonding with his “brothers/teammates,” or working at his hometown hospital.  He’s a well-rounded student who loves basketball and has a bit of a tough time remembering he goes to Boston College for the academics and not the ladies.  Find out just how lovin’ and cute this guy can be!

The Basics : 
Year:  2013
Major:  CSOM undecided (thinking about an accounting major with two minors in finance and international business)
Hometown:  Brockton, MA

The BC Experience:
How is the BC experience so far?  Loving it socially.  Academically, not so much (he laughs).  BC has everything you could want to do here.  It’s the perfect place to change who you were from high school to become something new or to continue being who you were or are.  Of course, academically it’s one of the greatest schools in the nation.

Fondest memory?  I lost a bet to my roommate.  The gamble was that the loser would have to  walk in the hallway in their underwear.  My roommate knocked on every door, guy and girl, to come see.  I had to walk in my Under Armor underwear from one end of the hall to the other, exposing my business (he smiles and shakes his head, recalling the memory).  I did get some lookers… even though some of them were guys.  But I got some lady lookers too… which is good.  It was a good time for the ladies.

What are your goals here at BC?  Dean’s list, winning the ALC Showdown, being nice to Marion

Where do you get your support from?  My brothers on the step team, Sexual Chocolate.

The Sexual Chocolate Experience:
How long have you been stepping? 
Since freshman year… of college.  The boys already on the team teach us how once we show some potential.

What is your SC nick name?  Carmel Kiss

What’s the story behind your nickname? 
As of freshman year, you are new to the team, and you have to pick out a nickname.  (I tell him to slow his speaking, and he starts talking about the war in 1942… it was a cold war….) Back on track.  You don’t know what to come up with, it’s been ten years that the team has existed, so there are already so many names that have taken.  I googled sexy chocolate names, and let’s just say the links are not good places to find some nicknames.  One of my friends from orientation was a little new to rap, and he heard “Make it Rain,” so he decided to call me “Chocolate Rain.”  The team changed it to “Chocolate Truffle.”  Girls thought it was cute, but guys thought that it was soft like… .  Then I decided on the name kiss, because I love kisses (he laughs).  No really, I just love Hershey Kisses.  So now I’m Caramel Kiss: I’m a smooth and sweet sensation that’s sweeping the nation.

Are there any prerequisites to joining SC (like having a rock hard six pack, and an insanely hot body)?  No, but it helps… for the ladies (grins).

Must you be able to body roll or can it be taught?
Ughhhhmm aha.  You have to have some experience, moving your body or some experience body rolling, or moving to the beat, or something like that.  But yes, it can be taught.  Is it tough?  Yeah, but it can be taught.

How does it feel to have thousands of girls scream at you during your (ahem!) special endings to your shows?
It gets your heart really racing.  After practicing for countless hours at night, you just know that the fans really appreciate all the hard work you put into the performance.  It’s kind of a rush I guess, like when you hear a bunch of girls calling you for the first time.  Especially if you’re coming from an all boys school (he points to himself).  When we hear a bunch of 18-21 year old women screaming at us, it’s kinda cool.

What are you thinking  about whilst you perform sexual positions on stage? 
Thank god we are actually doing this in front of girls as opposed to practicing it in the practice room with a bunch of guys.

Most importantly, how many of the SC boys are single and ready to mingle?  11 out of 13

Do you compete?  Yes.  1st place at Harvard.

When is your next show and what can we, the female population of BC, expect from it? 
Feb. 11th, 7:00 pm,  Robsham Theater, Chestnut Hill Boston College, zip code 02465, I believe or 467, Massachusetts, the United States of America, continent of North America, the globe, in the Milky Way Galaxy (God, I hope I’m right), in the solar system… or wait can we reverse that and like zoom in… be, like, in a solar system near you… (A lot of laughs)

In all seriousness, you’ll be amazed with how well SC has stepped through the years.  This is not the same team as back in the day.  Expect a great performance from the hardest working men out here on campus (I mean second to the athletes).  Ooohh and also lot’s of sexiness. (He almost forgot this one.)

How was your first ALC Showdown last year?  Were you anxious?
I really wasn’t nervous.  Performing in front of a big show is scarier rather than in Conte because we can actually see the people.  During Showdown we also don’t have skits, so it’s muscle memory as opposed to in Robsham where we have to memorize lines.

Do people recognize you around campus? 
Hell ya.  Did you see how many of the hellos I got today, girl?  But I don’t keep count.  Wait, don’t put that in there.  Wait, don’t put my “don’t puts” in there.  Jesus. (sigh)  You probably put “sigh” in there too, huh?  Ok, yes I’m recognized.

What’s the prestige that comes with being in SC?
The brotherhood.  I mean it’s just like a good group of guys to work with, the determination, the hard work, the late hours, it brings about big results.  And although we only take a few recruits every year, we only chose people who fit into that brotherhood to have an opportunity to learn and grow.  Yes, we make mistakes, but we learn to grow from them together and become leaders.

The Bernard Experience:
What has been your favorite song SC has danced to?
“Neighbors Know My Name,” by Trey Songs.

Favorite thing about BC?
I went to an all boys school…  So, girls I guess?  I mean BC High was perfect but… I’m a man, and I likes women.  Seriously though, BC is a good representation of BC High, and I had a great time there.  I thought it was missing something though:  it was the ladies.

Do you work/volunteer/ other activities outside BC?
I work at the hospital back at home.  I’m a Patient Observation Assistant.  I watch the patients and make sure they don’t harm themselves or others.  I also currently work at BC as a referee for intramural basketball games.  So if you in the Plex hit me up, and we could play a little lovin’ basketball.

What would be the ideal way of spending a snow day?
With a cuddle buddy and a movie.  A whole lot of cuddling.  Seriously, I’m like a bear…they don’t call me “Bernie Bear” for nothing.  I like to cuddle (he makes purring sounds).

Favorite class/professor at BC?
Professor Wesner, Business Law
Professor LaCombe, Portico

Are you single and looking?
Yeah, I mean:  617 – 459 – xxxx (squeaky voice, snaps fingers).

What, in your opinion, are your best qualities?
I like one-on-one talks.  I listen to you, and you listen to me.  I like for people to be real.  Like, OMG don’t try to be fake, just talk to me.

Any pet peeves?
I don’t think so,  I’m a jolly guy, so if there was a pet peeve, I’d probably make it known in public.

What message would you like to send out to all the ladies?
Hi, my name is Bernard.  I like to think of myself as a funny guy, I like to joke around.  Pretty smart, I can carry myself in a conversation.  And I’m a good listener.  So, uh, just hit me up and we’ll talk… xoxo kisses smiley face winky.

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.