Lynch School: Decoded

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Being a member of the Lynch School community is hands down one of the best parts of my BC experience.  It’s a small school, the professors are extremely caring and take time to truly get to know their students, and everyone who is in Lynch wants to be there.  The passion shared among the people in the Lynch community is undeniable.  However, to outsiders Lynch kids are rather hard to understand.  That is, what the heck are they talking about when they say they have to “prac” tomorrow? Or why do they always have classes on Mondays/Wednesdays and hardly ever on Tuesdays/Thursdays?  Well, here’s your chance to get an inside peak at some of the Lynch experiences and what a typical Lynch student knows inside and out.

1)   “Prac”, “Pre-prac”, or “Full-prac”

Whenever you pass two Lynch students walking together, you probably hear the word “prac” come up in their conversation.  “Prac” is the shortened version of “pre-practicum”, or student teaching.  As an Education major, each student is require to complete three pre-practicums in their undergrad years.  These pre-practicums provide Ed. students with the real life experience of teaching in a classroom.  While Ed. students are “prac-ing” (the action of student teaching), they also take methods courses that accompany this practicum experience, which provide different pedagogies and approaches to teaching. 

A “pre-prac” requires Lynch students to be in a classroom one day a week from the start of school to the end of the school day for ten weeks.  During this time, Lynch students create lesson plans, teach one-on-one lessons, and group lessons.  Full-prac-ing is different in that Ed. students spend one entire semester full-time student teaching.  Prac-ing provides Lynch students with real life teaching experience that is vital for future teachers. 

2)   E.R.C.

Many Lynch kids spend their time studying in the E.R.C., which stands for the Education Resource Center.  Located in the basement of Campion, the E.R.C. is a great study space and provides students with all the resources they could need to use in a classroom.  This hidden gem is open to all BC students, so next time you’re looking to find a new study spot or a place to rent out an iPad for the week, head to the E.R.C.

3)   Campion 104

This office provides undergrads a place to get all their questions answered.  Home of the Undergraduate Student Services for the Lynch Community, the people who work in Campion 104 are always ready to help. 

4)   E.R.A.

“Experience, Reflection, and Action,” is the class that all Lynch freshmen are required to take.  In this course, students are exposed to different topics that challenge their thinking and the ways they view the world.  E.R.A. is designed to aid college freshmen in their transition to college life, which is something that many other BC freshmen are not lucky enough to experience!

5)   A.P.H.D.

Contrary to popular BC belief, Lynch is not just home to education majors.  Many students in Lynch are Applied Psychology and Human Development majors, or A.P.H.D. majors.  This major focuses on social and community interaction and prepares students for work in these areas with a special focus on psychological processes. 

So the next time you overhear Lynch students discussing their day at “prac” or see them writing lesson plans in the “E.R.C.” you will be able to understand what all that crazy Lynch lingo means! 

Photo Sources

http://bcgavel.com/2014/01/30/bc-weighs-in-on-common-core-debate/

http://www.education.udel.edu/ete/

http://twiniversity.com/2014/03/teaching-children-with-different-learnin…

http://bc-sap-international.blogspot.com/2010/04/campus-tour-part-2.html

Shannon is currently in her junior year at BC.  She is majoring in Elementary Education and English, hoping to one day teach in an urban school.  Originally from Hopkinton, MA, one of Shannon's favorite things to do is tell people that her hometown is the start of the Boston Marathon - it's claim to fame!  In her free time, you can find Shannon cuddled up somewhere with her adorable giraffe-spotted mug.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.