Looking for a Laugh? Boston’s Improv Asylum is Here to Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The North End: perfect for dinner, dessert… and comedy!  Perfect for date night, girls’ night, or guys’ night, Boston’s Improv Asylum (located at 216 Hanover Street) is a fantastic way to round out your trip to the North End.

Located in the basement of a CVS, the Improv Asylum is a sketch and improv comedy group that is sure to make you laugh – and laugh HARD.  Buy your tickets ahead of time, arrive early and have a drink or two (age permitting, of course!) at their very own bar, and then sit back relax and enjoy any one of the Improv Asylum’s six currently playing shows.

Here’s what’s playing at the Improv Asylum RIGHT NOW:

The Last Twinkie

The Asylum’s newest Main Stage Show, which is said to be a combination of the sketch comedy of Saturday Night Live! and the improvisation (based on audience involvement!) of Who’s Line is it Anyway?  The Main Stage Show has been featured on HBO and awarded Boston’s Best Comedy Club – so you know it’s good.

Thursdays, 8pm

Fridays, 7:30pm & 10pm

Saturdays, 7:30pm & 10pm

House Teams

Here is where students and alums of the Improv Asylum’s very own Training Center get the opportunity to perform with the Main Stage actors, resulting in an evening of hilarious comedy. Here is an opportunity to see “some of the freshest faces in Boston Comedy.”

Tuesdays, 8pm

Vanity Project

Improv Asylum founders Chet Harding and Norm Laviolette team up with Main Stage actors, alums, and special guests to show you what improvisation is all about. These guys know what they’re doing – and they’re good at it too.

Wednesdays, 8pm

Raunch

Buy your tickets in advance or stick around after the Main Stage Show on Saturday because this is comedy you won’t want to miss.  All we are going to say is: adults only – you’ll have to go to figure out the rest.

Saturdays, Midnight

Afternoon Delight

Based entirely on audience interaction, this Saturday matinee will never be the same show twice. 

Saturdays, 4pm

The Sunday Night Show

A combination of improv and new sketch comedy, this weekend wrap-up show is different every week and a great way to cap off your Sunday.

Sunday, 8pm

Sources:

http://www.improvasylum.com

Photo Sources:

http://www.cityinsights.com/improvasylum.htm

http://www.improvasylum.com/shows/now-playing/raunch.aspx

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.