Let’s Call it Cooking: Spaghetti Bolognese

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

So at the beginning of the year, I had this weird notion that I’d cook a lot because I have a full kitchen. I was wrong. Until about a week ago, I had cooked plain pasta, toast, scrambled eggs, pancakes, and way too many desserts to name here… But I will anyways: brownies at least 10 times, chocolate chip cookies probably 10 times, cupcakes, slutty brownies once, a birthday cake, etc.

So I made it my mission to make something new: Spaghetti Bolognese. Please remember that I’m the girl who couldn’t make a hardboiled egg correctly so this was quite the task. With some help from my handy dandy boyfriend (the better cook in the relationship), I think my cooking was a success.

Here’s how I did it.

Stuff you need:

• Spaghetti (and water)

• Tomato sauce

• 1 bag of baby carrots

• Half an onion

• Garlic

• Salt

• Pepper

• Ground beef

Equipment: Big pot, sauce pot, frying pan, cutting board

Steps:

1. Use a big pot to start boiling water for the pasta.

2. Put the ground beef in a BIG frying pan on a high setting. Make sure to check it every few minutes and move it around with a spatula so it heats evenly.

1. Use medium to low setting, heat the tomato sauce in a small pot.

2. Now chop up the half onion and half the bag of baby carrots into as small pieces as possible.

1. Add the chopped onions, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper into the ground beef and mix them together.

2. Place the pasta in the boiling water whenever you see it start boiling.

3. Now pour the tomato sauce onto the frying pan. Everything should now be in the frying pan except the pasta. Turn it to a low setting. Leave it for a while so some of the liquid will evaporate.

(Be careful because this tends to splatter if it’s heated to quickly)

1. When the pasta is done cooking (10-ish minutes) then strain the water from it and you’re basically done.

1. Put the pasta on a plate, put the sauce on top and VOILA!

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum