Jumpstart Spotlight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

On any given day of the week, you can see people sporting bright red shirts on campus, and I know you have all wondered at some point who these people are.  Well, I am here to solve the mystery of the red shirts.  In answering the following questions—who are they, why are they always wearing the same shirt, and do they wash it (this one doesn’t require much explanation; simply put, most of us don’t, and we aren’t afraid to admit it)—I hope to shed some light on this mystery.

Let’s start off with the basics. These people are part of an amazing organization called Jumpstart, where they work towards the “day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed.”  How do they contribute to this lofty mission?  Corps Members (the people in red shirts) work in preschools in areas of need to help the children gain the skills necessary for them to succeed.  They read books from the Jumpstart curriculum and teach the children new songs and poems that promote the development of skills such as alphabet knowledge and phonemic awareness (manipulation of sounds).  Jumpstart sessions take place two days per week, for two hours each time.  Corps members are provided with 60 hours of training throughout the year that help them work towards this mission.

I have had the amazing opportunity to be in my second year of working with Jumpstart and I can honestly say it has made my BC experience.  I have met amazing and inspiring people not only within the Boston College corps but also within the classrooms I’ve worked in.  I have seen the impact Jumpstart can have and seeing the children in my classroom is always the best part of my week.  I was a corps member last year and returned as a team leader this year, which has been an entirely different but equally enriching experience.  Even though I am excited to go abroad next year, I can’t imagine how my life will be without Jumpstart in it.  It is an opportunity to meet new people at Boston College and also have a lasting impact on the life of a child.

Currently, Boston College Jumpstart has a division of 53 awesome corps members split among 7 teams, each led by amazing team leaders.  The corps is entirely overseen by an outstanding site manager, Julie Baldiga.  Next year, they are looking to expand to a corps of 75 with 9 or 10 teams.  Recruitment for next year is about to start, and if being a part of the red shirt clad Boston College Jumpstart corps sounds appealing to you, then check out the info session on Tuesday, April 2nd at 8pm in Stokes S113!

Photo Sources:

jstart.org

Facebook

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.