Julie’s Workout of the Week: A Thanksgiving Metabolism Burst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Julie is a certified AFAA personal trainer and ACE group fitness instructor.  Along with personal training at the Plex, she teaches group classes Fit Over 40, Chiseled, and X-Fit.  Every week she is here to bring you a quick 15-minute ball-buster workout that is sure to start the sweat!

Alright, girls, it’s coming: the best holiday of the year.  We cook, we bake, we eat, we drink… we eat some more… we drink some more… we sleep… and we do it all again the next day leftover style.  So what better way to prepare than by speeding up your metabolism? 

This week’s workout will focus on just that, so that you will have no problem scooping a second helping of stuffing.  This is one day when hey, it’s ok to grab an extra slice of you’re mom’s pumpkin pie.  Let’s be real, for one, you’re HOME!  Two, it’s Thanksgiving!  So here it is: a workout that will boost that metabolism, leaving you craving more of that turkey carving.  You’re welcome.

Just like last week, this week’s workout is timed.  Only this time, you’re going for a full 60 seconds for each workout, allowing yourself 10-15 seconds of rest between.
The workout is six exercises long, and you will repeat it three times.

1.  Thrusters
If you’re a beginner, reach for the 20-pound bar; if you’re more advanced, aim for a heavier bar accordingly.  Standing in good squat position, toes out, weight in your heels, abs tight, and chest raised, lower into a squat with the bar in front of your chest with your elbows straight out in front of you.  As you come up out of your squat, push the bar up above your head.  As you lower into a squat, bring the bar back down to your chest. 

2.  Box jumps
If you’re new, aim for the 12-inch box; otherwise, challenge yourself with one that is taller.  Standing next to the box, spring up with both feet and jump onto the box.  Jump back down with both feet.  Try and be quick!  Abs right, keep a steady rhythm! 

3.  T-push-ups
Grab a pair of 7.5-pound free weights, or 5 if you’re a beginner.  Start holding the weights in an extended-arm plank position.  Lower down into a push-up.  As you raise out of your push up, twist to one side and extend one arm with the weight into the air.  Repeat on the other side. 

4.  Toes-to-box
For this one, the key is having on a song with a quick tempo!  You want to do it at a fast, challenging pace.  Start standing facing your box.  Tap one toe on top of the box, then quickly switch feet, tapping your other toe on the box.  Be light on your feet!  A good song for this one would be Katy Perry’s Hot N’ Cold. 

5.  Walking lunges with weights over-head
Take a giant step out in front of you and lower into a lunge.  Make sure your front knee is directly over your heal, and not over your toe.  Your back knee should almost touch the ground behind you.  Repeat on the next step.  During the entire movement, hold your free weights straight overhead. 

6.  Run!
I have to throw a run in there at some point, right? So what better way than to wrap up the first six minutes with a sprint around the track?  Try and break a minute!

Once you make it through the round, take a 30-second break and start it up again!  This workout will jump start your metabolism and leave you burning calories even after you’re finished.  Why?  We’re intermixing fast-paced cardio bursts with fat-burning, muscle-building strength training.  Perfect!

It may be a tad ironic that I programmed a workout for you to be able to eat more this Thursday… but hey, it comes once a year right?  Indulge (in your workout) and your feast, and enjoy!

Photo Source:
Maggie Burdge

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.