Intern Diaries: Dana Farber Cancer Institute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It’s been awhile since we published an Intern Diary, so we decided to bring the popular blog back! Our first interview is with Mirabella Daguerre, a Junior Biology Student in the College of Arts and Sciences. She had the pleasure of interning at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Read on to hear all about her experience.

Where did you intern? And what was your role?

I interned as a Research Assistant at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.

What were your expectations going in to the internship?

I knew that it was going to be difficult and that I was going to learn a lot.  I expected that it was going to be extremely hands on and it turns out that it was!

What did a typical day look like?

I worked from 9 to 5 and I would begin by prepping my samples for the day.  I would have to melt or freeze the organs that I was working with and then slice them into thin sheets.    

Did you have the chance to interact with other people in your field?

Most other people did, but I worked alone. I’m a lone wolf!

Did you feel academically prepared for your internship?

Yes I did. I had biology experience before I started the internship. 

What tips would you give to someone applying to this internship?

Get as much prior experience as you possibly can.  If you can, take a preparatory research course.  People will teach you, but it is better if you come in with previous knowledge.

What was the highlight of your internship?

There was a presentation at the end where I got to demonstrate what my work was about and see what other people had been working on as well.  It was so interesting to see what other people were doing in their fields.      

Mirabella learned a lot from her internship and has been able to apply her education to her experience and vice versa.  Her internship has motivated her for the exciting things that await her after college!

Photo Sources

http://www.dana-farber.org/

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."