Instagram, You Got Some Competition: The Best Photo Editing Apps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Everyone knows that girls and guys alike love photo editing.  We can take ordinary pictures and turn them into extraordinary ones!  Most of us, including myself, are guilty of snapping a few pics of our meals just for Instagram’s sake.  If I am indulging in the most decadent chocolate cake that I have ever tasted (Here’s looking at you, Valentine’s Day!), I want the world to know!  Well, maybe not the world, but at least my Instagram followers.  Who doesn’t love to snap a shot of a beautiful ski mountain, edit it to take the photo to the next level, upload, and just wait for the likes to roll in?

Instagram is undoubtedly the favorite for photo editing and sharing.  But there are so many more awesome photo apps that we could all be using!  Here is a list of a few of the best picture editing apps.  Snap away!

1. Camera+

Similar to Instagram, Camera+ allows you to take pictures and then edit them to your heart’s content.  You can add borders, change the lighting, and even use a setting called “Food,” just for enhancing the pictures of all that you eat!  There are 36 effects of which some you do have to pay for.  Camera+ takes Instagram to the next level.  Try it out the next time you’re inspired by your picturesque croissant at The Rat or your perfect wrap at Eagle’s Nest!

1. PicFrame

Ideal for situations when you want to put two, three, or even ten pictures beside one another.  Have a friend’s birthday coming up, and want to create a collage of your best pictures together?  Download PicFrame!  It is super simple to use.  Just choose a frame, and upload pictures to fill it with!  You can add white space in between the shots for some separation, emphasize shades, and upload directly to Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

1. CamScanner

On Thursday mornings when we check our Insta-feeds, we all know what is coming.  TBT.  Throwback Thursday.  A day dedicated to uploading pictures of ourselves last semester, last year, and last decade.  Why not take advantage of this day?  It is the perfect opportunity to show off how cute you were (and maybe imagine what your kids might look like with your crushes).  All you have to do is set a photograph down in good lighting, and CamScanner scans the picture.  The quality is great, and the app actually allows you to crop out sloppy edges that you might accidently capture when taking the picture.  Save the picture, and upload it straight to Instagram!  Likes, here we come!

1. VSCO CAM

My personal favorite photo editing app (Sorry Instagram!), VSCO CAM makes anyone feel like a hipster.  Take a picture, or upload a previously taken photo.  Then, edit away.  The filters are awesome and often improve the clarity of your pictures enhancing colors and focus.  I favor effect number 5, as it always seems to be just right, not too edited but not too plain.  There are also three unique greying effects if you are into black-and-white pictures.  You can also fade pictures, make them grainier, crop, enhance contrasts, and highlight.  VSCO CAM allows you to upload straight to other social networking sights for maximum efficiency.

1. TouchRetouch

Don’t you hate it when you attempt to take a flawless picture, and some tiny object gets in the way?  You were so close to perfection!  With ToughRetouch, you can remove those objects with the swipe of your finger!  One might call it magic.

Honorable Mentions

1. I’d Cap That

Do you ever wish you could put a hilarious caption on a picture without it looking like the ones our high school siblings pride themselves on?  I’d Cap That takes captioning to the next level.  Upload a picture, and the app will stick a caption on it.  Sometimes, it’s inappropriate, but it’s always hilarious.

1. CatLovers

Known to my friends and me as Catstagram, this app lets you choose from a variety of cats to stick in your pictures.  Trying to cover up a curious drink?  Conceal it with a cat!  What could be better?

1. Vine

New to the editing scene and created by Twitter, Vine is a video app that is essentially the video equivalent of Instagram.  Six seconds or less, the videos are brief and pretty cool.  You can follow friends and your favorite bloggers.  It is easy to explore videos by searching hashtags, like Food, Sports, and How-To.  Give it a try the next time a friend is doing something weird, or you catch something that calls for videotaping!

Photo Source:

http://thetechblock.com/vsco-cam-the-new-instagram/

Source:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/01/25/twitter-launches-vine-a-six-second-video-sharing-service-but-is-that-really-long-enough/

Gabby is a senior at Boston College studying Marketing. She is a writer and a publicity team member for HerCampus BC. On campus, she is a Lead Heath Coach through the Office of Health promotion. She is also the Health and Wellness Coordinator for the Women In Business group. Her interests include nutrition, fitness, peanut butter, and Justin Timberlake. She studied in Sevilla, Spain for the 2014 Spring semester and is excited to return to her beloved Boston to finish off her Bean Town checklist before graduation!
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.