If I Had a Facebook in Fourth Grade…

The 9-year-olds of today live a much different world than the life we led back in 2000.  I work as a teacher’s aide at the Jackson Mann School in Allston and learned last week that everyone in the class had a Facebook except 3 students.  This got me thinking… what would a nine and ten-year-old do with Facebook?  What does a nine-year-old’s status update even consist of?  I can tell you one thing, today’s kids would definitely not be posting about the Backstreet Boys, Furbies, Easy Bake Ovens, and rolly backpacks.  But come to think of it, that’s probably what I would have posted about!  What would your fourth grade Facebook say?? 

Bridgid O'Brien is a senior at Boston College studying psychology. She has been a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Team for the past three years and has been Irish Dancing for fourteen years. She works as a fifth grade teacher's aide in one of the urban Boston middle schools and interned this summer at Massachusetts General Hospital working with children with autism and Asperger's disorder. Bridgid loves working with children and plans to continue onto graduate school for clinical psychology. Bridgid is excited for the year ahead and so excited for what the future holds!