I’m Not Old, I’m Only 21!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear World,

I have some things that I want to get off my chest.  Ok, it’s really only one thing, but it’s a big thing that’s been bugging me. 

It’s my age.

Don’t get me wrong.  I love my age.  21 is great!  The issue is the sudden decision to make me old.  It’s like I’m 21 turning 90.  Did the aging process just suddenly speed up?!

Every time I see a nostalgic article about the 90s or a pessimistic article about a new generation with different catchphrases, several phases set in.  First, I’m happy about seeing stuff I love.  Second, I’m confused, counting the distance of time between now and then.  Then, I’m left with an anger that makes me want to scream, “I’m not old!!! I’m only 21!!!”

Granted, I do feel mature.  I am able to vote, drink, and watch rated R movies.  It’s not too bad.  I mean seven years ago when I was 14, I could not do any of those things.

However, that was only seven years ago, not 70.  There is a big difference.

I still love to watch Disney movies, play board games, and look at picture books.  (I’m not kidding.)   I love hanging out with my younger sisters and pretending that I am five years old.  I may physically be older, but sometimes, I’m mentally that young.  It’s fun!

Having said that, can’t I just be an amalgamation of both?  It’s not that hard.  I have no problem watching Death at a Funeral (British version) and then Anastasia.  I have no problem wearing fishnets and Hello Kitty at the same time.  Sometimes, my bedtime is 2 am, and other times, it is 8 pm.  21 is an age at which you are at a crossroads.  You are trying to decide where you are going to go, but at the same time, you want to cling to the innocence of the past, where there weren’t any real-world responsibilities.

Satchel Paige once said that “Age is a case of mind over matter.  If you don’t mind, it don’t matter.”

If I don’t mind acting young, why should the rest of the world be so bothered?

So, please stop telling me that I am past my prime.  I understand that recess is a thing of the past and that the demands of rent and jobs are fast approaching.  But, do I have to give up sledding in the snow and skipping on the sidewalk?

Thanks for listening.

Yours truly,

Danica

Quote Source:

A bottle of Honest Tea

Photo Sources:

http://blog.timesunion.com/schenectady/files/2012/10/old.jpg

Danica is a senior at Boston College and is a History major with an Irish Studies minor.  She is originally from Greenwich, CT and moved to East Boothbay, ME.  She is also a member of Boston College Irish Dance and the Shaw Leadership Program.  And last but not least is a fiery redhead who lives in a dragon-guarded castle surrounded by a boiling lake of lava! But don't let that cool you off. She's a loaded pistol who likes piña coladas and getting caught in the rain. Yours for the rescuing: Princess Danica!  (And yes, that is a quote from Shrek...)
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.